Hey guys, just saying hello.

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
wes
Deck Plate Wanderer

Hey guys, just saying hello.

Post by wes »

Prospective marine engineer here... I just finished my 3 year cadet program, and written TC exams... going to do my oral exams on tuesday.

I have been reading this website for some time now... thanks a lot for all the effort guys!

I'm pretty nervous about the orals. How nervous were you guys when you were first starting out?? Right now I have doubts in my mind for even attempting it.. most of my friends are going right to the power engineering field with the local stations. But I think I have a good knowledge base and understanding of the job... and sailing is not all that bad, even if no one on land seems to care.. "no I'm not a marine biologist...." hahaha

Also, I read the articles about how much taxes we pay here in canada, and I must say that is very discouraging. As a young canadian, I am seriously thinking of emigrating out... possibly to europe. Anyone ever explore any possibilities elsewhere? Maybe to some sailor-friendly country?

Anyway, sorry for the long winded first post.. take it easy guys.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Nervous for orals!
:lol:
I swear that I lost everything in my mind for all of them, a blank slate.
My steam ticket orals was with the Ancient Mariner who was around when the recipricating steam engine was conceptulized.
When I went in for the last ones, I would start talkiing really fast when I saw the Examiner getting ready to move on to another question in the hopes of sidetracking him. It was his first orals as an Examiner. Did it work...doubt it.
wes
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by wes »

Hello

Haha, well I'm hoping my examiner isn't an ol' timer who expects me to know everything about steam pumps or steam winches. Examiners first orals too eh... i guess you both must have been nervous... just a little tension??? haha

Well... hopefully in 48 hours i'm worried about getting a job, and not studying some more!!

Have any of you folks sailed on cruise ships before? I know martin has, but I was wondering if anyone else has. Pros, cons, of the job maybe? I do know the pay is not great (for a junior engineer of course), but at least you're working with up to date technology. The great lakes fleet here in ontario is ridiculous... to say the least.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Nervous....

Post by The Dieselduck »

Its seemed to me that being nervous is completely normal. The subject matter is so wide open so there is no real way to be sure of whats going to be asked. During mine, I was just a bit surprised at what was covered. It was more about safety, regulations and licensing rather than technical matters, but that was just me.

I wish you all the best, thanks for the kind comments too. Indeed now the big challenge is the job market for you as it is for many of us. Don't lose hope and take it day by day. All the best to you.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Let us know how you make out so we can applaud you!
ArkSeaJumper
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Ireland

Post by ArkSeaJumper »

My class 4 oral was ok, mostly about safety, the last answer to any question would be 'and I would call the Chief'

For the Class 2's I got cocky, and drove my car into Dublin in the middle of rush hour traffic for the oral, and of course had a crash.

All worked out in the end though.
wes
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by wes »

Hey guys.

Yup, I passed and gothet my combined 4th's.. hurray! Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I personally didn't get asked anything about regulations, all mechanical and theory stuff. It was harder than I thought, but the examiner helped along. I think its more about if you can think on the spot, using reason based on your accumulated knowledge.

But yeah.. I was definitely nervous. The first couple questions I had to really try and relax and fight that "blanking feeling", but after a while I kinda settled down.

So... off to the job board I guess.. haha!
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Congratulations, that is a big hurdle done. Good luck in the job hunt.
wes
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by wes »

Thanks man.
lovevmc
Bilge Dweller

Post by lovevmc »

oral test ,difficult?

for we Chinese ,we also have the oral test ,organized by our shipping company , it is also difficult to us ,and the most difficult is that you have to answer all the questions in English! it is crazy!

you are lucky!
Dieseldame
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Nova Scotia / Caribbean

Jobs...

Post by Dieseldame »

Hey Wes, congratulations on the exam! I thought I would throw in my two cents on the job hunt side. Depending on what you like you might consider the yachting field...google just4engineers. We can talk more if it appeals.

DD
wes
Deck Plate Wanderer

Re: Jobs...

Post by wes »

Dieseldame wrote:Hey Wes, congratulations on the exam! I thought I would throw in my two cents on the job hunt side. Depending on what you like you might consider the yachting field...google just4engineers. We can talk more if it appeals.

DD
Thanks! I checked out the website and it looks very interesting. That sounds like something I may pursue in a year or so after I have a good solid base of experience. What are they like hiring junior engineers? Have you worked on any of these yachts before?

Wes