STCW 2010

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
joerow
Bilge Dweller

STCW 2010

Post by joerow »

Just wondering what people on here know about the new STCW coming into effect? I'm hearing that without a high voltage course you will get a stamp in your certificate book saying you cant work over so many volts blah, blah. I know I will need to do this and the other courses but it seems here in Canada no one knows anything about it. Sounds like you have to have it all done by 2017. What I'm wondering is living on the west coast where, when and how do I get all the training I need? Any input appreciated.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: STCW 2010

Post by Big Pete »

My understanding is that "High Voltage" means over 1,100 Volts, which in practice means larger Diesel Electric vessels.
The normal 690 Volt or 440 Volt systems on most ships are classed as "Medium Voltage".

My Certificate will expire in 2016 and as far as I understand I would have to redo every training course and certificate I have ever done, and a few more besides in order to revalidate.
However, I will be 62 in January next year and I doubt if I will continue to work very long after that.

I agree with you that there is a complete lack of information on how the latest Abuse of seafarers inflicted by IMO will be interpreted. I don't think those people have every sailed on a ship even as passengers, they certainly have no understanding of how they operate.

Good luck with revalidating everything and getting all the courses done. I am sure very few companies will pay you to do them and nobody will be offering the required courses in time for everyone to do them by the deadline.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

It gets worse. If you work on a smaller vessel below a certain power, the time doesn't count and you can lose the ability to work deep sea. The way I I understand it you ticket will be only good for national coasting. On the west coast you might want to check more on it where there are more smaller vessels. I am like Big Pete, on the other end of my career.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

In Canada, the Regulations haven't been written yet, the exams haven't been updated yet, the certificate structure hasn't been settled yet. All of these things are under review, discussion and construction, of course, but until you see it the the Canada Gazette, part 1, don't believe anything you hear. Part 1 is the discussion document, Part 2 is the final form, available for 90 days for comment before coming into force.

As a guide, look up the Manila Amendments, STCW 2010. AS A GUIDE! It will not be enforced verbatim, there will be Canadian amendments for local shipping.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

One BIG QUESTION comes to mind, would any of the amendments proposed in manilla, have actually prevented the Korean Ferry disaster, or any other Major Accident in the recent past?

A list please, on the back of a postage stamp.

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
joerow
Bilge Dweller

Post by joerow »

I have to renew my certificate when I sign off in a month. I guess I will see what they say at transport Canada when I do. Hopefully they give me 5 more years without the high voltage exemption. Fingers crossed.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

Joe, all STCW tickets will expire 31 December 2016
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Coincidently

Post by JK »

I got the this email:

MITAGS-PMI is pleased to provide our Guidance Document to assist with the interpretation of the STCW Manila Amendments and the USCG Final Rule.
The Coast Guard has issued the Final Rules on the Implementation of the STCW95 Code 2010 Manila Amendments, and 18 of the twenty plus Navigation Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVICS). In addition, there are other related regulations and policies that impact mariners. Although the final rule affects all U.S. mariners, most of the changes are focused on mariners sailing on near coastal and foreign voyages.

We have done our best to interpret these regulations and create a Quick Reference Guide.

Please note that the information contained within this guide is for guidance only. The Coast Guard frequently provides updates that supersede current policy or regulations. Please visit the National Maritime Center’s website for the latest information at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/, or email: [email protected]

If you have specific questions related to license questions, please send an e-mail to Mr. Vic Tufts at [email protected].

DOWNLOAD GUIDANCE DOCUMENT HERE or cut and paste the following link in to your browser window:
http://mitags-pmi.org/newsletter/Pdfs/G ... _Rules.pdf

Thank you for continuing to subscribe to our e-bulletins. We very much hope that our guidance document is helpful.

Team MITAGS-PMI
Hypatia
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: British Columbia

Post by Hypatia »

It looks like UK, Singapore, India, and Ukraine have figured out how to offer the high voltage course. Even the Shetlands have one. Seems like its just a one day thing. We aught to be able to figure it out over here.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

There will be some questions on HV stuff in the ETO Examinations and that's it, as far as I know. Of course, any company can demand what it wants as a condition of employment. If they require HV training, so be it. If they want you to jump up and down while whistling "Dixie", that's their prerogative too.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

We aught to be able to figure it out over here.
You realize that we are talking about TC don't you. A one day course will turn out to be six days, then be shortened to three after company outcry, while engineers will not be consulted whatsoever.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

The Dieselduck wrote:
We aught to be able to figure it out over here.
You realize that we are talking about TC don't you. A one day course will turn out to be six days, then be shortened to three after company outcry, while engineers will not be consulted whatsoever.
Lets not forget the organizations responsible for setting up, funding and running such courses. In Canada, that would be cash strapped Provincial Government departments responsible for "Trades Training & Upgrading", who have much bigger problems than developing a certification upgrading course for a handful seafarers to make them qualified to work on vessels outside Canada and or not under Canadian jurisdiction. It is not news to Canadians that when it comes to specialized training in an established training program, in this case HV Electricity, just about every Province have their own sets of rules and standards for such courses and if your training and experience doesn't meet the set requirements you are ineligible to do the upgrading without taking other courses first. So a One or Six day course in some other jurisdiction somewhere else in the world could potentially turn into a 1 - 2 year training program here, in many cases, at the engineers expense in time, tuition and lost wages with no guarantee of TC approval or recognition.

As expected in situations like this when 2 levels of government are involved and the minefield of jurisdiction for education and training must be crossed. Things move very slowly and a timeline set down for compliance with an international convention for an handful of seafarers doesn't seem to be a high priority for the bureaucracies involved until it is "Crunch" time. For example both TC and the Provincial Government Departments responsible for providing such training have known about the requirements for MED upgrading under the Manila Convention since it was ratified and only in the last 18 months a year has an approved TC Training syllabus been provided and training courses set up in already established training facilities.

Some of the larger the private sector companies are remaining silent on this, as they maintain the policy that "Certification and the training to maintain that certification is responsibility of the Seafarer not the Company", knowing that they are being handed a huge loophole to circumvent Canada's Labour Laws with respect to foreign seafarers on Canadian Registered Vessels, despite the recent court ruling won by the SIU.
Let's face it the majority of Canadian seafarers are coming up on the end of their careers and the companies know this. They also know that once the already dwindling pool of certified seafarers depletes further and or deemed to be non-compliant with new international regulations, they can exert more pressure on the Government for permission to fill positions with Seafarers from other jurisdictions that carry certification that complies with the Convention but may not necessarily meet Canadian Standards.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

How to comply with STCW 10, the "Manila Amendments", published last October.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/bu ... 09-eng.htm

The new Marine Personnel Regulations will not be ready by 1 Jan 2017, so the current ones will be in effect until they are.