The Decks Will Run Red

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

The Decks Will Run Red

Post by JK »

I watched the old movie last night. The story was of a mutiny on board a 50's general cargo steamer. The really neat thing was it was shot on board with engine room scenes. The showed the scotch marine boiler fronts and the triple expansion engine running. It was worth the painful storyline to see the engine running.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: The Decks Will Run Red

Post by JollyJack »

Part of my apprenticeship training was on a steam tug with an triple expansion up-and-downer and a Scotch boiler. Still love to see the reaction when I ask what a hydrokineter is. :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

We used the GS pump. It has been awhile, but if I remember correctly it was through the bottom blow down, an isolation valve, through the pump and back to the feed water valve.
Only last week I was asked if we had a hydrometer in the office to test something or another. I had to laugh, I was on the steamers for 4 years and never saw one used.
I was flipping through the channels and came across the show with two guys standing beside a intermediate bearing and a fairly substantial shaft and there I was for a hour.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

nope. :) This was basically a circulator usually near the bottom of the boiler which was fed by live steam. When the steam was on, the boiler water was being circulated, normally the boiler wasn't fired until vapour or steam was coming from the vents. There is a good picture of this in Sothern's Verbal Notes and Sketches.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Ah, we didn't have one, all circulation was done by pump. There was a steam eductor to pull water from the double bottom using steam . It would only work if we dumped the domestics down to give a head. I expect it was worn out by then.
Flashing was done with the smallest burner tip and 3 minutes every 30 minutes firing rotating the furnace. The second had been there a long time, he was absolutely wild at the fireman when a boiler came up suspiciously quick. When the steam blew from the air vent it was closed.
We were on the railway dock with 2 boilers banked and the third online. I was duty engineer over the weekend, after I was down a couple of times, I noticed the fire was in the same furnace. I asked if the fires were being rotated thru the furnaces. After a No answer, it was my turn to get perturbed. Good boilers, but you had to respect them and be very cautious. The next ship I was on the crew was careless about firing. I was glad to get off there. They collapsed the furnaces in both boilers, it was a miracle no one was killed.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Post by Wyatt »

Found an old advert with a good image, I can't believe that these things might still exist. http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im18880629E-Weirs.jpg
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Yes we had one of those for feed water. They tried a couple of times to fill boilers but it was finicky. I expect it was worn out. I can't remember what they called it there.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

You're supposed to feed live steam into the flange, not feedwater. The steam, passing through the nozzle, will drag boiler water with it, inducing circulation and heating it at the same time.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Yes. I was just thinking who I can ask about it and realized that just about all the engineers from there are moved on to the wardroom in the sky.