Nova scotians to help a west coaster??

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
westeng
Bilge Dweller

Nova scotians to help a west coaster??

Post by westeng »

I'm a 4th class engineer preparing to relocate to Shelburne, NS in March/April 2009, presently working as a third on ro-ro ferries on the west coast (5 years here). I will have my 3rd class shortly, and hopefully my 2nd before I leave (seatime permitting). What we really lack here are the publications I found so easily available for work/recruitment while I was cadet on the Great Lakes.
Hopefully this is where some of you can help....
Any insights into the industry on the East coast would be greatly appreciated, with info on recruiters or prospects. I am interested in anything up to month out/month in and possibly shore work (shipyard or plant maintenance). I have no preference to vessel type, and would consider up to 1 hr. commute for shore based work( Barrington or Yarmouth??)

If anyone can help guide me in this, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
alanocean
Leak Patrol
Currently located: New Brunswick, Canada

Post by alanocean »

I am from the East coast and thought I would drop you a bit of info from my end! I know of a few places that are looking. 1) Secunda Marine...I have no real knoledge of them other than they are based out of Halifax or at least have vessels there and have now gone day for day with half decent wages, you should be able to find the web site. 2) ATL or Atlantic towing which is a great company and has tugs all over but a few in Halifax but you would probably be bonced around to a few spots around the area and they have 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off in a perfect world for the harbour and generaly 4-6 weeks on and the same off on the coastal's. 3) Norbulk Shipping out of Saint John which is currently 73 on and 73 off but you would be in Saint John at least once every 10 days. Saint John is about a 4 hour drive from Halifax. I have more info if you need it so drop me an e-mail if I could help with any. :D
alanocean
Leak Patrol
Currently located: New Brunswick, Canada

Post by alanocean »

No laughing at my spelling as I suck! :lol: and the 73 and 73 is days not weeks
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Coast Guard is crying for people on the East Coast. Month and month there.
Marine Atlantic is another place to check out.