Georgian College engineering and nav programs

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
jon1
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Ontario, Canada

Georgian College engineering and nav programs

Post by jon1 »

Hi all,
I have been accepted to, and am trying to decide between the marine engineering and navigation programs at Georgian College for September. I have worked mainly on small vessels such as a tall ship, and sheltered waters tour boats as mate and SVMO and I have also spent five weeks on a tanker as a deckhand in training. Basically, I'm trying to decide which path to take. I like working with my hands, and l am fascinated with big machinery. However, I also love navigation ship handling. I have my bridge watch rating and was able to do a fair bit of watch standing and time on the wheel while on the tanker, which I loved. Could any of you give me your (if possible ) un biased opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of both the deck and engine departments? And what shore based jobs are available in both further down the road and what does it take to achieve them? I am leaning towards the deck side.

Thank you!!
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Georgian College engineering and nav programs

Post by JollyJack »

An engineer has marketable skills after coming ashore, a Mate's only option is to become a Superintendant, once he fails the Mates exam 2 or 3 times.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
jon1
Bilge Dweller

Post by jon1 »

What does a superintendent's job entail? And what about jobs working for TC, or in the business side of shipping? Also how many years approximately would it take to become a pilot after achieving your watchkeeping mate's?
jon1
Bilge Dweller

Post by jon1 »

I just feel like from my limited experience (which I guess is better than nothing), my heart's really in nav. However I don't want to spend my life working at sea. I'm planning on doing the one extra year nautical science degree from Memorial after I graduate. Would this open up more shorshore options?
Thanks again!
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

There is always superintendents and vessel manager, SHEQ managers, safety officers, DPAs, CSO, TSB, TC, Class etc etc etc. There s lots of options but engineering is probably the better option for higher and steady revenue streams post sea, unless of course you attained master.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
jon1
Bilge Dweller

Post by jon1 »

Alright, so lots of post sea nav options IF you attain master. Sea time wise, that is 4-6 years as long as I keep up with my training, but realistically, it's probably more like 10-15 eh? What sort of shoreside jobs to engineers generally do? Powerplants and such?
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Technical superintendent
Project managers
Shipyard management
Consultants
Ship inspections
OEM reps
Class inspection
Management
There's a lot of options, it is tough to get shore engineers because of pay differences and lack of leave.
jon1
Bilge Dweller

Post by jon1 »

Thanks everybody!
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

You should aim for a 1st, minimum 2nds with sea time to a 1st, before looking ashore
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I agree, minimum 2M, but go -for 1st Class. If you can get motor AND steam, you'd well ahead of the pack, the question then becomes "how much will you pay me"? Get tanker endorsements and you can set your price :) Lets see, GAS tanker L2, 1M/1S , CT2 endorsemet''''''pick your job. $15000 a month or more
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

agree. If you decide to go to a shore job before you write your 1st, it is very difficult to take the time to write. A friend of mine has steam, motor, LNG and icebreaker experience. He's like gold!