Turning gear question

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Turning gear question

Post by Merlyn »

Any one figure this one, had a twin screw ship which during a major engine overhaul to do stb engine top end stripped, now necessary to engage the turning gear to expose crank, some days turning gear turned crank no probs, other days seized and cannot turn at all ? Large extension bars were no help at all.called in manufactures rep, turned over, made us all look fools. Rep went back, next day seized, won't turn. Any ideas and no cheating if anyone who reads this was in enginerooms at the time. Remember ship steamed alongside no probs.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
rodrigger
Deck Plate Wanderer

Re: Turning gear question

Post by rodrigger »

did you find the electromagnetic brakes faulty on the TG? ... what the amps drawn on TG before?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

No, no probs with the TG current draw as its handraulic operated, only current draw was incurred by crew and only measureable not with an ammeter but by sweat droplets per inch (not mm)
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Sounds like you have something worn in the engine that settles and jams the TG if you stop in the exact place.

It makes me think of an old steam recip engine I worked on that had liners worn thwartships, we had to ensure the ship was on an even keel to work on the engine because all the pistons would slump over against the wall. Extreme example, because you'd never see that wear in a diesel.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Well you are getting there, it was an old up and downer but the problem was not in the liners? This problem happened regularly at intervals of approx four times a day every day. All other times it would turn over no probs.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I am guessing that it was nothing to do with the Engine, maybe shipyard guys working on the Prop?

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

No, the ship was afloat, stb side to the quay, clue is in the four times a day and at regular intervals?
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I keep thinking of the oiler making coffee at shift change and overloading the breaker!
Atlantic
Leak Patrol

Post by Atlantic »

Tide?
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

I am thinking the same way as Atlantic, prop fouling the bottom?
Not sure why 4 times a day as their are usually only 2 low tides a day, except odd places where they have double tides, like behind the Isle of Wight.
BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Hydraulic TG, your boost pumps keeping up the pressure,or is it a hand pump affair?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

No it's not hydraulic its handraulic, 16 foot extension bar and three crewmembers power it up. Atlantic got it in one word followed by endorsement by Big Pete. PV/T equals C won't help you here, despite what they told you in thermodynamics. The answer is MLWS, normal tides all is ok, but mean low water springs caused all the problems. It had never happened before despite every year the ship alongside in the winter in the same place for overhaul. One engine one year and the other the next. Live and learn jobby or what, Big Pete is working out very well my Lat and Long as most places have of course two tides. So first prize of vintage Belzona being collected and delivered to Atlantic but only on the proviso that he can assure me that he was,nt skulking in the bilges at the time.Amazing he got it in one word tides? Or maybe it has happened to him, or was he in Jenkies Navy?
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

I would never have got that because I was not aware of double tides. Haha, I just went back and read your original handraulic post. I totally missed that, time to check the glasses!
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Classy part of the world you see, been allocated four not two tides.