DPF Anyone?

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

DPF Anyone?

Post by Merlyn »

Just completed my third DPF passive forced regeneration successfully, retarded the injection timing, told the ecu in no uncertain terms to start over fuelling and ran at relatively high speed for some time and hoped the exhaust uptake didn't pollute the sky more than what the DPF had saved the atmosphere from in the preceding time prior to the DPF passive forced regeneration? Wiped out the fault code, scoped the upstream and downstream 02 sensors, smoke check revealed it was now running on fresh air, this being an indication that shortly a £600 upgrade would be required for the smoke meter as the emmissions get less and less and get more and more difficult to measure what with more and more pre and post injection taking place etc etc. Now all of this is a very very far cry from my beloved VLC hollow ground white metal bearing scraper which appears to be working its way further and further into the bottom of my box.I find myself eyeing up the spare picture hook next to Grannies picture above the fireplace, but what about my tin of engineers blue and the rolls of lead we used to : take leads: ? What a far cry from those days, with the scraper I spent loads of hours scraping, had a real high input yet with the code reader and diagnostic electronic tool plug it in and push buttons. However when it says no 3 injector faulty you cannot always get away with replacing the injector, it might be the reason for the missfire but not the cause . Loads of fun, wind ups and hassle have evolved since the eighties concerning this subject, common rail. Mr Caterpillar has invented his own lub oil system, very clever but not, I think a common rail system as there is strictly I think no fuel rail from which a common supply can be taken. HEUI v common rail. In the eighties when this started to affect us all I considered I was starting out all over again, so different to what you had been used to and the things that evolve almost daily never cease to amaze me concerning diagnostics. Big headaches weekly no matter what kits you have, courses you go on and experiences you encounter. Any one else had fun with Common rail/ Cat stuff out there.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: DPF Anyone?

Post by JK »

I havent used a bearing scraper in close to 30 years.
We have had Cat issues with head pressure from the day tank. I'll have to check the model.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I still have my set of bearing scrapers, but, like JK, haven't used them in 30 years. Common rail injection? Try a Doxford, wonderful engines! All manualmatic, of course, no electronitrickery there. Ran forever, with enough fuel supplied, never had a software bug, ever!!
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

Ah, dear old Doxfords opposed Pistons, fond memories, started out on them, had several BP and Shell tankers laid up on buoys in our local harbour for years, had to recommission them.Loads of Carbide light uses here in 1960 Load up the firms launches, early am start up the old P6 's , if it was winter it had to be a flame start, welding rod with cotton waste dipped in red diesel, ignited, air cleaner off, one boy on the starter button and one on the start button. These old engines were 12 v but through lack of compression flew over like they were 24 v. Mr Bradex was banned as over keen hands would spray excessive amounts into the air cleaner, lock up would occur and the crank would break. Always behind the flywheel.Sometimes although the rear main controlled the oil pressure the engines would continue to be used rumbling away as the break was not 90 degrees but S cam type breaks. This practice was stopped as one day the blue lighted and sirened Fire engine turned up, someone had reported the boat was on fire. These boats were 40 feet long open work boats, you had to sit behind the engine and operated the controls,a coxswain had a bell system going, one ding full ahead, two full astern etc. wow betide you if when towing a coaster etc if you got it wrong. Anyway several hands and all tool kits, lights and carbide deposits loaded off you went dropping off several hands at different ships. We were bound for the British Loyalty Tanker. Now of these many toolboxes some were always empty on the way out, but not on the way back. Die nuts, drills reamers, pullers, large tins of grinding paste etc etc were the norm, got my first packing extractor from the SS resuperheat tanker Theodoxus Some of this kit was never ever to be used but it just had to be had. Much fun had to be had on these ships by apprentices, davits were swung out, Jacobs ladders erected and junior apprentices who had crossed seniors were strung up upside down on a davit wire and the pendulum exercise commenced. This involved cranking out the line and :tuning the pendulum: till the upside down apprentices head just entered the water at the middle point of the swing. Luckily I was not considered to be a grass on these happenenings and as such escaped this treatment although I was to suffer other punishments at their hands. Remember the Doxfords well, there was a famous story that one had come back from the other side of the world minus one cylinder Pistons, stripped, boxed up, fired up and off, no problems. Happy days.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

jeeze, not much bullying there!