Can't Set Sail

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Can't Set Sail

Post by Merlyn »

Not storm bound but info bound. Can't sail without these Tufnell bushes fitted. Someone must know answer? Can't believe the silence.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Re: Can't Set Sail

Post by Big Pete »

As I understand it, Tufnol is a trade name for a laminate built up from layers of woven linen cloth, impregnated with resin, to form a corrosion resistant block that can be machined to form bearing bushes for slow running shafts, particularly those running in Sea water. It used to be used in Sea Water pumps, as a replacement for Lignum Vitae staves on propeller shafts and to make propeller bushes as an alternative to running on staves, with Sea Water lubricated shafts. They became obsolete about 50 years ago when all the shipyards and shipowners went for oil lubricated shafts running in White metal bearings / bushes. In recent years there has been a revival in Water Lubricated Shafts, because of the huge fines that can be levied on ships with leaking Stern Tube seals. The preferred material now is "Orkot".

BP.
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Good answer BP , there were 32 in total on each ship, driven by a central hub which had a cam attached to it? Two bushes in each rod running around the cam? But where did they live?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

From the Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations (SOR/2012-69) respecting underwater components, eg stern tubes

5. For the purposes of section 187 of the Act and sections 7, 29, 67, 82, 95, 100 and 126, substances may be discharged, and for the purposes of subsection 109(1) and section 110.6, substances may be emitted, if

(c) the discharge is a minimal and unavoidable leakage of oil that occurs as a result of the operation of an underwater machinery component;

Section 187 of the Act (CSA 2001) says:

187. No person or vessel shall discharge a prescribed pollutant, except in accordance with the regulations made under this Part or a permit granted under Division 3 of Part 7 of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

No underwater grease nipples here?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Having turned the bushes they turn the other way when the ship goes astern? Two sets chain blocks / lift pulls required here to change these to prevent the crank taking charge? Will be claiming this decades Stomper medal at this rate.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I fully admit to having difficulty with your turn of phrase. Its pretty good.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Thanks for that but where are we to fit these bushes in order for the ship to set sail? You could not be present in this compartment when under way?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

JK, Ought to tell you that the T word prolifically used is part of the big four? To strip one of the other T's requires at least four vernier type height gauges?
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Are we talking feathering paddle wheels?
BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

WELL DONE BIG PETE where I did my time the firm had dozens of these old fellas, last one scrapped in 1966 now, what about T.T.T.T? ( not a P.S.)
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Keeripes Merlyn, I didn't realize you were 104!
I think even Transport Canada has gotten rid of the feathering paddlewheel question on the 2nds.
I was doing some head scratching on this one.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Was a yearly job on the paddlers, went on until 1966 when the last old feller went to the great scrapyard in the sky, Radius Rods about 12 feet long, bored approx 10 inches each end, Tufnell, as it was then, had to be replaced every year or before if the Paddler ran over dunnage or a floating railway type sleeper. They were coal fired ( before my time honestly) and later converted to oil. Used during WW2 over here, as tugs, tripping boats, cross channel,salvage among other usages. I have had a hard marine engineering life but I am not really 104 years old it's really just because I have had a hard life that I might appear that way? Having been done out of Martins Stomper of the decade medal I now move onto T.T.T.T.? Can this one be solved? Remember the vernier height gauges were in proper measurements ie inches, not Mickey Mouse jobbies, ie m.m. as we over here appear to be forced to adapt now.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

We only have the one paddle boat here in Canada, out in BC. If it's still around.
I started on a up and downer steam ship built in '49. 3 scotch marine boilers , twin shafts, Skinner Uniflow engines. it was at the end of it's life. Most people are surprised that is where I started.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

There's a paddle boat in Toronto harbour, takes passengers on jollytrips around the bay. She used to be a tug, I'm told.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".