T.T.T.T.

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: T.T.T.T.

Post by Merlyn »

And you JK
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

You have reminded of two more possible "Ts", when warming through, Turning on the Turning gear, and Turning on Steam, do you have Tufnol in your acronym as well?

I have never heard of a Company called US Metallic Packing, but the only trip I ever did based on that side of the pond was on the Irving Canada.

Who knows/ remembers what MAVIS stands for? (Big Stone crushers).

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I was 2nd on her sister, Irving Ocean, Pete.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Turning on steam is a correct "T" no Tufnol in these fellas, although looking on their site online I am amazed to see what they make out of it now, beautiful cut little gears and other precision bits of kit, incredible! US metallic packing was on old up and downers, when the ship was in for refit our firm would always get their rep down and as a boy I would work with him doing all the donkey work etc. So during the day you learnt all about this clever bit of kit, he always used to stay at the local pub on the quay and he would always try to get you to meet him after hours so he could continue to teach you further in your career as a marine engineer, ie drinking. Can't really help you on the MAVIS bit but if it's of any help I used to know a girl of that name who always used to grind her teeth when she got excited and was known as Crusher. Mind you she must be about 70 now so I guess that's not of much help to you. Ah well, must go now to continue my work on my medal, as you are getting close re T.T.T.T. I have decided to put yours and JK's initials on the reverse side of the kidney pad in an attempt to reduce the embarrassment factor to those who might have sailed with you. Be assured that when in Noddy Holder country I will however be reversing the Stomper of the Decade medal for all to see.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

I was Second on the Irving Canada also, although I had an Extra Chief's ticket at the time the Canadians wouldn't recognise that because of a spat with the MCA over British Recognition of Canadian tickets, they would only accept my (Older) 2nds ticket. It was my first trip back to sea after my Honeymoon and the employers I had been working for before, Hays Ships UK, told me all 5 of their ships were laid up without work, and I had to look for a new job, it was the only one immediately available. A change from being Chief Engineer on a brand new Diesel Electric, DP, ROV support ship, the Kommandor Subsea, for the previous few years. I guess I spent most of the Winter of 1987/1988 on the Canada. The day after I joined Hays started repeatedly phoning my Wife, desperate to contact me, because they had a charter for the ship and couldn't find a Chief with Diesel Electric and DP experience, rare as hen's teeth in those days, wouldn't believe I had already joined another ship!!
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I have no shame LOL, my turbine time is so short to be non-existant on a ship I prayed daily to get off of.

I was wondering if you are hinting about expansion during warm up.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Well you must have missed out on all that lovely scrap money we used to get for the White metal back then, used to fetch good beer money. Yes, you are on the right track re expansion and indeed all of the T's refer to just that.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

Like JK my Steam time was very short, 4 months as a First trip Cadet and 4 months as First trip AEO on the S.S. Strathlauder (Ex Patonga) with P&O General cargo Division, back in 1973 and 1975. Before most of the readers of this site were even born. Never saw a turbine or boiler opened up, never got enough steam time to get a steam ticket.
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Blimey then looks like I have a double whammy here then, steam endorsement to the ticket was back then a good idea. Turbine and up and downers. Gonna claim that Stompers medal shortly methinks. Any more takers before all concedes defeat?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

I have a 4th class steam, thanks to my time in a steam tug, Scotch boiler and a compound up and downer. I still enjoy the blank faces when I ask what a Weirs Hydrokinetiker is for or how an Igema gauge works. :)
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Well you got me churning 30 year memories over in my mind of a ship I absolutely despised. The funny part was I eneded up as the tech manager for it 16 years later LOL
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Well I thought the Tech Managers job was to oversee all maintenance so maybe a dig out of where US metallic Packing lives from your old scribblings will solve this problem and your ship can sail, ere we could have another Marie Celeste jobby here. Or are you after promotion here to permanent watchman status for your old age?
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

I don't know the saying and have never sailed on a steamship, but we had to learn about turbines in 1-2 courses.
Just spit-balling here some possible T's associated with a S.S hrmm...(some mentioned before; Turbine, Turn, Thrust)
Time
Turn
Temperature
Thrust
Tail
True
Tracing

4 T's in a saying to leave port or said when leaving a pub to get back to the ship?
Time for Temperature Turn & Thrust!
Sounds more like you'd be leaving a pub with a woman you've picked up! hah
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Well you are nearly there and owing to your recent success rate re NH3 I will now explain the T.T.T.T. saying. You could be in a pub, in the control room or indeed anywhere when someone would say T.T.T.T. TIME TO TURN TURBINES. In other words, time to go. It came originally from when in steam on a turbine ship in order to prevent uneven expansion and the rotor coming into contact with the casing blading you had to admit steam in order to slowly turn the rotor to evenly dissipate the heat expansion when the ship was not underway. So got to go now, it's TIME TO TURN TURBINES. PV/T equals C ? Remember?