Spill Timing

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Spill Timing

Post by Merlyn »

Who can remember the last time they did this? You maybe would have to have high hours displayed on your total time run hour meter ( like me ) to own up to doing this. Used to be a common thing to do, but nowadays not so it appears. Something else lost. Haven't done it for years. Still there though, just in case.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Spill Timing

Post by JollyJack »

Still a question in 3rd Class Motor.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

Not too long ago a C/E I was working with wanted to to this for the emerg. Gen (or Fire pump?) and I was really looking forward to seeing it done!
But...it was pushed back "we'll do it tomorrow, no the next day...", and then I got off...so I never got to see it (or know if it was actually done.)
It sounded fairly simple, shame I never got to see it.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

It was a 2nd year Apprenticeship subject. Do we have Engineers now, or just spare parts fitters?
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Post by Merlyn »

When I started out we boys were told in 1960 that compared to old hands then we component changers or spare parts fitters. In my day we used to do this, we used to do that etc. If only those old hands could see it out there now. Skimming a starter comm, fit brush sets, alternator brush ring and diode packs fitted, diaphragms and the two valves in lift pumps, make up injector pipes, strip injectors and overhaul, throw away world indeed now. Changing broken delivery valve springs in inline pumps ( the poppet valves ) water pump gland leaking, no problem, off with the pump, press out the old bearings and seals, fit a new kit using stainless steel ball bearings not mild steel. Turbo end seals starting to leak oil, fit a new kit, never a problem. Loads of other things, all gone it seems. Matchbox fitters the old hands would say, that's all what you lot are capable of doing, fitting matches into matchboxes.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.