Tow boat crewmember killed in accident

A place to remember our peers who have completed their last voyage on this earth. Finish With Engines.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Tow boat crewmember killed in accident

Post by The Dieselduck »

It is with sadness that I post this announcement.

Stan Nickerson, a senior deckhand on the Rivtow Princess, tragically lost his life while at work, on June 17th, 2008. I worked with Stan, and I was saddened to hear of such an unfortunate accident. He was a very good shipmate and a professional mariner. My condolence go to the family he leaves behind.

It is a stark reminder that everyday we must be vigilant for our safety when at work, and that we cannot take things for granted even when doing "simple" things.

Below, is the obituary, for Stan, if you wish to leave a message for the family, you can click here. http://www.legacy.com/can-vancouver/Obi ... =112183747

NICKERSON Stanley "Nick" November 6, 1955 - June 17, 2008 It is with great sadness that we announce the sudden passing of Nick. He is survived by his loving wife Tina, his children Jessica (Craig), and Colin. Grandchildren Carson and Claire, Mothers Mary, Florence and Gert. Sisters Nancy, Brenda, Julie and Pat. Brothers Syd, Trevor and Todd and all of his family and friends who will deeply and forever miss him. Nick spent over 30 years on the tugboats and loved to be out on the water. Nick was the true definition of a family man. He had a kind and generous spirit. Nick forever had a joke in his heart and a smile on his face. A Memorial Service will be held on Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 at 2:00 p.m. at Valley View Funeral Home, 14660 72nd Ave., Surrey, with reception to follow.

The following news story was observed in the paper...

Man Crushed in Barge Incident
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A 52-year-old Surrey man died after being crushed between two barges at a log sorting operation near Crofton, Canada.com reported. The accident occurred just before midnight while the men were working on barges towed by tugboats in the Shoal Island area, near the Catalyst mill in Crofton. Workers took the man to Cowichan District Hospital where he was pronounced dead, reports said.The B.C. Coroners Service and WorkSafe B.C. are investigating the death.
Source: Canada.com
Attachments
Stan Nickerson
Stan Nickerson
Stan Nickerson.jpg (78.33 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Condolences to family

Post by TxMarEng »

My thoughts go out to the family. This is an ever present reminder of the hazards of going to sea.
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Post by offshoresnipe »

My thoughts too go out to all family, very sorry to hear about it. Makes you think about just how fast it can happen to any of us.
Wyatt
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Victoria

Post by Wyatt »

Thanks Martin,
By informing all of us how swiftly life can be taken away, this terrible tragedy might be turned into a wake up call to the ship mates on my vessel. I have printed the story off and will include it in my next safety meeting. I feel so incredibly sorry to "Nick" and his family. These accidents should NOT be happening, but they do occur.
Please, keep up the good work.
My condolences,
Wyatt Rathwell