WHAT'S UP IN THE GOM ?

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

WHAT'S UP IN THE GOM ?

Post by offshoresnipe »

I have been putting in applications and resumes down in the GOM, looking to get on a AHTS or large OSV. I hold a 3rd A/E unlimted license (USCG). I am being told by more then one company that I need a 3000 ITC endorsment on my STCW to sail for them as a engineer. I tell them I have a unlimted ticket, they say that it does not have the correct tonnage and the USCG will not let me sail. "It is unlimted" I keep telling them!
I have talked to the new National maritime center which has said I am correct, that getting a 3000 ITC on my STCW would be going backwards. Has anyone else faced this situation and or do they know how to get this solved? Some in the GOM think a DDE is bigger then a 3rd A/E.
I would like to just get back in the engine room after getting my 3rd's.

Thanks for any input......
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Obviously you have been talking to Human Resources!

Good luck getting on.
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

Jobs

Post by TxMarEng »

You should give AMO a call or Chevron they are both looking for 3rd's Stay away from the cajun mentality in the Gulf If you ave an unlimited ticket go deep sea. OSG I believe is also looking.
offshoresnipe
Officer of the Watch

Post by offshoresnipe »

Thanks for the info.
I have always heard strange things about down in the gulf.
At least the other day the guy in H.R. got it straight about my license.
TxMarEng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: Albuquerque New Mexico

From Momster.com

Post by TxMarEng »

Chevron is also a good route through the back door into MEBA

Third Assistant Engineer / 03049491

Position Description:

Chevron Corporation is one of the world’s leading energy companies. Headquartered in San Ramon, California, and conducting business in approximately 180 countries, the company is engaged in every aspect of the oil and natural gas industry, including exploration and production; refining, marketing and transportation; chemicals manufacturing and sales; and power generation.

Chevron USA - Marine periodically has job openings for the position of Third Assistant Engineer located on one of their US Flag fleet of vessels. This is an open continuous announcement. Applications will be considered as vacancies occur.

Overview:

Applicants must hold a current United States Coast Guard License (Motor and Gas Turbine vessels of any horsepower), Merchant Mariner Document, STCW 95 Certificate, passport, Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and Tankerman PIC-DL endorsement. (Note – In order to complete the necessary sea time for engine officer certification; the Tankerman PIC may be waived for a licensed engineer’s initial tour of duty.)

The general guideline for vessel assignment length is 90 days for licensed officers. Vacation will accrue at 30 days for each 30 days of work.

Pre-employment screening consists of:
• Physical examination, including DOT drug testing
• Functional capacity evaluation
• Background check

Qualifications:

Tanker Third Assistant Engineer responsibilities include, but are not limited to:

• Handles engine department watch standing duties, which includes supervision and control of vessel’s machinery and equipment.
• Oversees the loading of engine department stores, bunkers and water.
• Ensures that all personnel working within the engine room comply with PPE requirements and supervisor’s safety instructions so that safe working practices are adhered to.
• Supervise and assist unlicensed personnel (machinist and utility).
• Responsible for routine maintenance and troubleshooting of engine room equipment, inspecting equipment for the need of preventative maintenance and determining requirements. Conducts routine maintenance on a variety of systems, including (but not limited to) pneumatics, hydraulics, mechanical and electrical.
• Performs any other marine related duties as required by STCW, ISM and ISPS conventions and Chevron operational procedures to ensure the safety of the vessel, its crew and cargo.
• Attends all required classes required by STCW, ISM, ISPS and Chevron to maintain valid certificates of competency.
• Participates in and furthers company programs such as Behavior Based Safety, near miss reporting and Job Safety Analysis.

Qualifications:

• One year service as a licensed engineer on vessels requiring unlimited horsepower.
• Working knowledge of USCG and international regulations such as MARPOL, SOLAS and ISGOTT.

Minimum License and Endorsement Requirements:
• USCG Third Assistant Engineer of Motor or Gas Turbine Vessels of any horsepower.
• Merchant Mariners Document
• STCW ‘95 certificate
• PIC-DL Endorsement (Tankerman PIC may be waived for a licensed engineer’s initial tour of duty)
• Advanced Firefighting Certificate
• Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)