Special Survey

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Special Survey

Post by Big Pete »

I just paid off on leave yesterday and shortly before I left the ship our Super emailed a list from DNV/GL regarding preparation for Survey, supposedly specifically for our vessel, If I could figure out how to remove the ships name, IMO number etc I would put it online for interest. Apart from the poor spelling and listing equipment that is not on the ship, there are a couple of things that I would like to ask our resident panel of experts about:

1) "Verify that records documenting training of the crew in operating each incinerator are on board" NOBODY, as far as I know, that has sailed on this ship since she was built, has ever received training in operating the incinerator. I am assuming that this is a requirement because the ship is Clean Design" and Class want to verify that the incinerator is being operated correctly in an environmentally friendly way. (Rather than just ramming the combustion chamber full of garbage, switching on the burner till it catches fire, turning off the burner and leaving the garbage to burn itself out naturally, which appears to happen on many ships. To me this is a variant on "Quis custodies ipsos custodiet", in this case who trains the trainers? I asked my Super about this but he "couldn't see a problem with this".

2) Verify that the "Oily water interface Log" Log is maintained with respect to consumption figures.

Has anybody the slightest idea of what they are talking about?

BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Re: Special Survey

Post by D Winsor »

Maybe our resident regulation expert Jolly Jack can confirm this but it is my understanding the new incinerator emissions regulations require that all personnel responsible for the operation of the incinerator to be trained in the proper methods of loading and monitoring the operation of the incinerator. All crew on a vessel I was working on, including deckhands and engine room crew had to do the training after taking over a vessel with one of the new type incinerators installed on it.
In order for the incinerator to meet the new environmental regulations on emissions the practice of, as you say, just ramming the combustion chamber full of garbage, switching on the burner till it catches fire, turning off the burner and leaving the garbage to burn itself out naturally doesn't cut it anymore. Many of these new incinerators have sophisticated stack monitoring equipment for temperature and particulate discharge and it is often necessary during a special survey to prove that the incinerator is being operated properly with procedures and combustion monitoring records. This is especially true when it comes to Port Sate Inspections with the USCG to insure and compliance with the Vessel General Permit or VGP. I've seen Incinerator training, operation and maintenance records along with non combustible garbage disposal records to insure the proper disposal of ashes regularly checked during Port State, Annual Class and ISM inspections. I would not be surprised that similar inspections to insure compliance with similar regulations on the use of incinerators are carried out within the Euro-zone as well.

With respect to the Oliy water interface log I can only suspect it is something to do with the operation of the OWS with respect to Oil Record Book and Deck Log entries, independent annual calibration certification of the Oil Content monitor, and the function of the OWS Process control
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
uolli
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Canada

Post by uolli »

"2) Verify that the "Oily water interface Log" Log is maintained with respect to consumption figures.

Has anybody the slightest idea of what they are talking about? "

I think this requirement is related to fuel oil consumption. The amount of sludge, which accumulated on board of the vessel, is calculated as 1% from consumed fuel oil. Depend on quality of fuel oil it can be 1.5%.
All other sources of sludge "surpluses" during operation must be clearly declared under specific code in ORB.
If real quantity of sludge is exceeding these figures it could be subject for more detailed inspection from PSCO.
From my experience, the German Water Police focuses very seriously on the matter of OWS inspection .
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Read all about it here: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... .html#h-55

Training of personnel is covered in Section 115 (3) of these Regulations.vis:

115. (1) This section applies in respect of a shipboard incinerator that is installed

(a) after December 31, 1999

(i) on a Canadian vessel that does not engage only on voyages in waters under Canadian jurisdiction, or

(ii) on a foreign vessel; or

(b) after May 2, 2007 on a Canadian vessel that engages only on voyages in waters under Canadian jurisdiction.

Marginal note:Regulation 16.6.1 of Annex VI to MARPOL
(2) The authorized representative of a vessel must ensure that every shipboard incinerator installed on the vessel meets the requirements of regulation 16.6.1 of Annex VI to MARPOL.

Marginal note:Operating personnel
(3) The authorized representative of a vessel must ensure that the personnel responsible for the operation of a shipboard incinerator are trained and capable of implementing the guidance provided in the manufacturer’s operating manual.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that, the Vessel is a U.K. flag, PSV, operating in the North Sea for all its life.

BP.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

She'll be non-Convention then, Pete, a local coaster, so the Convention doesn't apply.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

(Wouldn't be the Highland Piper, would it? I was Chief on her in the late '70s.)
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

No she is a newer one, 5 years old, hence first special survey, all singing all dancing DP2, Diesel Electric (690 Volt), Azipuls, Azipuls and Bow thrusters all driven through Variable Frequency Drives, Variable frequency drives for all the Cargo Pumps and even the Windlass (direct electric drive instead of Hydraulic), Clean Design, Selective catalytic Reduction system for NOX, 5 ppm Oily Water Separator etc.

She is designed, built and classed for World Wide Trading and everyone has Foreign Going Tickets.

I think the "Piper" will be Razor Blades by now.

Link below to the current "Highland" Fleet.

http://www.gulfmark.com/Our-Fleet.html
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

I suppose she is now. She was in the Salvesen fleet, they changed from whaling to supply boats in the early '70s
JFC
Mechanic

Post by JFC »

The only place that I can think of where you may want to record regular testing and treatment for an oil water interface may be in a situation where your operation required water compensated fuel tanks to maintain a certain condition of stability, such as navy ships and you may need to test and treat to prevent contamination?

Otherwise, I would chalk it up to repeated translation of technical speak thru several countries to the point where the final info means absolutely nothing......

Cheers
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer

Post by JollyJack »

We know what happens to navy ships with water compensated fuel tanks, they fall over in Halifax dockyard! :)

Incidentaly. naval vessels are exempted from the pollution regulations, which is why they can use water compensated fuel tanks and leave a pretty rainbow coat on the water between the jetties in the dockyard. :)
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor

Post by Big Pete »

Thanks for all the responses.
I was thinking along the lines of Fuel tanks that could be also used for Ballast, when I first came to Sea there were a lot of 1950's built ships that had dual purpose tanks, but obviously this has long been banned on Merchant ships.
I understand that all Government ships are completely exempt from MARPOL, although the Royal Navy voluntarily comply.
I can see the necessity in Submarines of fuel tanks automatically flooding with Sea water as the fuel is consumed.
With surface ships the problem is also with stability, but I think most modern warships have dedicated fuel tanks, that would only be ballasted in case of Battle damage.
The List was supposed to be specific to our ship, but it is also talking about monitoring discharges from a SOX reduction system which we don't have but omits the NOX reduction system that we do have!

I am busy helping my son move house, but when I have time I will print and scan the list and for everyone's edification.

BP