Sacrifical anodes

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: Sacrifical anodes

Post by Merlyn »

You don't know what you are missing, better class of shower here. Not everyone can boast they had a shower with a Serpent? The anode protects the Serpent.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

I'm going to have to go back and read all the posts to see if I can decipher what you are talking about Merlyn.
:)
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Well over here the slang name for a heat exchanger coil in a water heater is called a Serpent as its coiled like a Serpent as it sits in the tank? Jog the old brain cells?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
astat101
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: UK

Post by astat101 »

I am surprised to find so many different names given to heat exchangers, I work for vestas aircoil and we refer to them as charge air coolers. A serpent is a new one on me and I shall remember that.
D Winsor
Superintendent
Currently located: Dartmouth

Post by D Winsor »

I remember on one particular vessel sacrificial anodes placed in generator air coolers were modified with a 1/16" hole drilled in the end or through the brass cap holding the anode. One always had to be prepared, when walking by the generators, to be suddenly be hit with a fine spray of water and or have a bunch of wooden tooth picks or match sticks on the ready to stuff in the hole of a leaking anode to stop the leak and act as a reminder to change the anode.
Troubleshooting 101 "Don't over think it - K.I.S.S. it"
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

We must not forget that the serpent is a water to water heat exchanger device whereas the charge air cooler is a water to air temp reducer device. I have never heard of a serpent called a charge air cooler. DW, your tell tale holes reminds me of torpedo tube drillings, by opening the cock if no water came out then the tube was empty of water.Sadly many lives were lost through this device as blockages in the drill holes concealed the fact that the outer door was open and by opening the inner door seawater at terrific pressure entered the torpedo room and whole subs have been lost as a result of a blocked drilling. Reports I have read depicted crew closing the torpedo room door thereby sealing the fate of crew in the torpedo room in order to prevent the ship from sinking. Best stick to surface ships methinks.
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

You're refering to HMS Thetis. After that tragedy, torpedo tubes were fitted with a patent clip, the "Thetis Clip", to ensure a torpedo tube door could be closed.

HMS Thetis was built in Birkenhead and went into Liverpool Bay for sea trials. Read all about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Thetis_%28N25%29
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

I remember that loss, the stern was above the water line clear of the water for hours and yet she still could not be saved. Tragic indeed. And all for a bit of debris in a tiny drilled hole.