MTU ' s the name and fiddle is the game DPF ing

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

MTU ' s the name and fiddle is the game DPF ing

Post by Merlyn »

Just done my fifth DPF regeneration but sadly it's turned into what we call over here a " since you jobby ". MIL light on control panel, FCR shows emission problems present. Strip Cat assembly, clean out soot and carbon deposits present , reassemble and test. Scope both upstream and downstream O2 sensors, downstream one only just within limits so replaced as insurance. Just to try and cover all eventualities retard the injection timing, lift rpm, ( all done electronically by the electronic tool ) and perform regeneration on DPF. More crap exhausting to atmosphere via the up takes , rescope and FCR system, all clear, no probs. Give ship owners all printouts to verify work done and cover your own backside. Ship sails for approx four weeks and on comes MIL light again. Although owners told light may well reappear for DPF or other reasons we are told it's a since you job by the owners. Whole exhaust systems replacement required as owners previously told, you never ever, ( like the old days say, well that's the end of it, guaranteed unless you want to commit financial suicide.) Now we are looking at tens of thousands of pounds expenditure here so ship owners say they will let us know. Ship continues to sail and we reattend two weeks later as requested. Owners tell us they have solved the problem and would we fit this ECU? What's all this about then? Getting educated on this latest angle I learn this ECU via a sixteen pin loom supplied plugs into the ships ECU and " filters " the O2 readings thereby effectively telling the engine that there are no problems down here in the exhaust system thereby ensuring the MIL light stays out. So we have a Common Rail ECU controlling the engine and an additional ECU controlling that? Cheating or what? Legal or what? Haven't measured the smoke reading yet, just wondering about back pressure / fuelling side of things? Seems this " rogue " ECU is warranted to keep the MIL light out for twelve months minimum. Cheap way out for the owners or what? Or will it result in an expensive engine rebuild? If so who will foot the bill? Dangerous ground here methinks. What a turn up, what's next? Talk of unmanned ships with fault code diagnostics sent by satellite back to the 24/7 manned engine manufactures works whereby trained operatives will sort the problem online. Don't know quite how they achieve piston/ liner changes etc, probably they are already working to ensure we are all no longer necessary as Mr Robot steps in perhaps. I read this in I think the Motorship magazine so it's on someone's drawing board somewhere. So different the way things are now, what the future holds for new entrants into the trade who knows. Probably because they can solve all the electronic games online they will do perhaps better than us who have a lot of hours on our engine total time run meters. What I used to laugh about and mock is seemingly now coming true, unbelievable methinks or what?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: MTU ' s the name and fiddle is the game DPF ing

Post by JK »

Was it a VW?
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: MTU ' s the name and fiddle is the game DPF ing

Post by Merlyn »

Ha, know what you mean, No it was a rattler of an 16 V MTU, one of a pair in a German built ship. Just waiting for the bang or if it visits your way what's the legal re your MCA re the " doctored " emissions I wonder? Not an easy one to find but if your authorities were to find out re a crew member/ whatever be interesting to see the outcome perhaps? Unusual one ? Prohibition notice or what?
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.