Radiated Sea - As if seafarers needed more hazards

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Radiated Sea - As if seafarers needed more hazards

Post by The Dieselduck »

I've been meaning to post this for a while now, but I've been quite busy at work, today was chaos ! Then again things are quite tame compare to Japan where even shipping is affected. I thought some of you might be interested in the situation as shipping is concerned.

Attached is our company guidance sent out last week, about the perils and cautionary steps to take. . And below is an article appearing in the news today...

Chinese Port Rejects Japanese Vessel with Abnormal Radiation Levels
Monday, March 28, 2011 - The Maritime Executive

Last week in Xiamen, a Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd. Vessel sailing from Japan was detected to have abnormal amounts of radiation on the decks and surface of containers upon inspection according to the Xiamen Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau.

The contaminated ship, the MOL Presence, had passed 67 nautical miles off of Japan’s prefecture of Fukushima, part of nuclear-power station Daiichi that has been crippled by the recent disasters. Authorities also assured that the crew areas did not harness above-average levels.

The MOL Presence is headed back to Japan after being rejected by Chinese officials, and is expected at the port of Kobe on March 30th.

The berth used at Xiamen before leaving has been contaminated, Xiamen port bureau reported. The Chinese government has banned imports of dairy, fruit, vegetables, seafood and other “water products” from multiple areas near Fukushima. They have also quarantined 2 Japanese travellers from Tokyo who authorities detected to have high radiation levels.

Spokespeople for the Tokyo-based Mitsui, as well as officials for the Port of Kobe have both declined to comment on the situation.
Attachments
Nuclear Shipping Situation in Japan.pdf
(59.89 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Radiated Sea - As if seafarers needed more hazards

Post by JK »

Radiated Iodine was detected in the Bay of Fundy by the Point Lepreau nuclear plant sensors. It was ID to be from the nuclear accident in Japan.
It is amazing that it arrived there so quickly.
Given that the severity of the disaster is being steadily upgraded, I am sure more will arrive.

I was told by an acquaintance who was in Japan at the time of the earthquake and who has family there, that they could have applied sea water within 4 hours of the diesels being washed away, but it was delayed because it would have ruined the facility. It remains to be seen if that is the case but truthfully would anyone be surprised. Money trumps reason.