Third Class Math

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Curt233
Mechanic
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:37 am
Currently located: Comox Valley

Third Class Math

Postby Curt233 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi,
I'm going for my Third Class Motor ticket, and I am wondering if anyone on here can give me some insight to how in depth I need to study for the math exam. I was able to do 15/17 questions that were in the library. I am not a college engineer, so this will all be fresh for me.
Thanks in advance

User avatar
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:57 am
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Third Class Math

Postby JollyJack » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:11 am

3rd Class math is about the same as High School, 2nd Class is just a bit higher. I strongly suggest you go for 2nd Class Applied Mechanics, the math standard is just a wee bit tougher than 3 Maths, but when you pass 2APM , you'll be exempted 3 Math and 3 APM. Saves you $55 and the hassle of writing 3 exams!

I suggest you get Reeds Applied Mechanics for Marine Engineers. When you can knock off most of the examples in the book, you're ready for 2nd Applied Mechanics. Don't do the ones marked with a 'f', they're for 1st Class, you can't write that until you have 2nd Class.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".

Curt233
Mechanic
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:37 am
Currently located: Comox Valley

Re: Third Class Math

Postby Curt233 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks for the response, and I didn't realize I'd be exempted from both. Thanks. That was great info JollyJack.

Curt233
Mechanic
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:37 am
Currently located: Comox Valley

Re: Third Class Math

Postby Curt233 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:22 am

Hey Jolly Jack,
I've decided not to go for my second class. For me it seems too hard to teach myself. With the reeds books, they obviously have all the info all the way up to 1st class, so when do I stop beating my brain on things I won't be examined on for the 3rd class. I've have the applied math booked for May 2nd and would really like some advice.
Thanks.

User avatar
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:57 am
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Third Class Math

Postby JollyJack » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:52 am

First Class questions in Reeds are indicated with an "f" 3rd Class questions are just a variation on 2nd Class questions, not a hellova lot harder. Have a crack at 3rd Maths, see how you get on. If you piss through it, go for 2APM next. If you get close to a failing mark (59%), think long and hard. You'll find 2APM a struggle, stick with 3rd Class. It's a matter of getting the grey matter back into "math mode" and getting it working again.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".

Curt233
Mechanic
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:37 am
Currently located: Comox Valley

Re: Third Class Math

Postby Curt233 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:17 am

Thanks JollyJack

Curt233
Mechanic
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:37 am
Currently located: Comox Valley

Re: Third Class Math

Postby Curt233 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:04 am

I think Transport Canada should revise their syllabus, the exam was mostly algebra. I didn't refresh my memory enough on that subject to be confident enough that I passed. I'll find out soon I guess. In the mean time, time to refresh my memory on all the rules on algebra.
Thanks for your help JollyJack.

User avatar
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Posts: 1124
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:57 am
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Re: Third Class Math

Postby JollyJack » Wed May 04, 2016 10:10 am

aye well, once you get to applied mechanics, thermo, electro and NavArc, you'll find it's all about algebra. Learn to isolate any one factor from any equation, they can get quite complicated at times. Go step by step and line by line, keeping each line separate and legible. Remember that the correct answer is worth 10% of the question's value, the other 90% is how you got there.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".

Curt233
Mechanic
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:37 am
Currently located: Comox Valley

Re: Third Class Math

Postby Curt233 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks JollyJack


Return to “Training Room”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest