Wartsila vasa 32

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
jay.mac
Bilge Dweller

Wartsila vasa 32

Post by jay.mac »

Any estimates on what a 10000hr overhaul would cost on a 6 cylinder vasa 32? Price in Spare part, and a price if done by contracters

Also a 2000hr and 5000hr(?)?
Thanks for reading, Jay
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Wartsila vasa 32

Post by JK »

First you need to know the work scope of each of the inspections and generate a parts list for what will be changed and opened up.
Then you can get in touch with the Wartsila dealer here in Dartmouth and get an estimate of prices and delivery on your parts.
You can also get a rate on a Wartsila FSR if that is who you want to do your work. I always figure on about $100-125/hr plus room and board and travel. If you are looking for just a diesel engine fitter, prices are lower.
Sorry can't give any more specifics because I don't know the inpections for these engines off the top of my head.
jay.mac
Bilge Dweller

Post by jay.mac »

Only really looking for a ball park estimate.

4000hrs fuel nozzels replaced

8000-12000hrs; big end inspection
o/h cylinder heads, o ring kit
liner inspection(water side also) o rings
piston inspection, new rings
start valves o/h
replace T/C bearing

16000hrs ;cam bearing inspection
main bearing inspection
injection pumps o/h, new barrel &plunger assembly

Say fitters are on half the hour rate of wartsila fitters. Any ideas? Thanks again for looking
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Your best bet is to call Wartsila and get a real price from Mike Rushton. I haven't talked to him in awhile, but he is probably still there.

Wartsila Canada Inc
Toll Free : 1-800-468-1264
164 Akerley Boulevard , Dartmouth , NS B3B 1Z5
jay.mac
Bilge Dweller

Post by jay.mac »

I'll tell you why i ask, its for estimating the maintainance costs to run the engine. £/hour. Any body have any ideas or generic prices for medium speeds on gas oil? Thank JK for the replys. Will look into contacting a Wartsila agent in Europe.
JK
Enduring Contributor

Post by JK »

Sorry, I assumed you were in Canada.
I could probably give you something but I've been out of the office all summer and the numbers are fuzzy now.
And our engineers do all that kind of maintenance. We only start looking at someone coming in if they are overwhelmed with work or there has been a large failure on the engine.
I'll bet ArkSea Jumper would have some costs.
Pacific Barbarian
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Cape Town

Post by Pacific Barbarian »

These engines are in my opinion the VERY BEST medium speed diesels EVER to be delivered. Unfortunatley they are no longer being produced :evil:

Maintenance on them are dead easy. Can be done by just following the excellent manual.

I realise this is not answering the question, but the point I am trying to make is you can probably do the job yourself, time permitting.

I went for advanced training in Vasa Finland for a week and then overhauled a total of eight Vasa 32D six cylinders over a period of 2 years.

To do the complete overhaul 16000 hr with a team of 3 guys will take you no longer than 3 weeks running in program included. This included heads (with rocker gear), fuel pumps, liners, pistons, mains, big ends, injectors, tappet gear, air start valves, attached pumps, turbocharger, the whole works. All can be done on board. For the heads you need special machines, but the seats can also be replaced if no refurbishing gear is on board. Simple procedure.

Only the gudgeoun pin bushes need to be done in a press shop, but normally last about 60000 hrs.

So just order the spare parts and do the job on board. That is what gives us the status of Marine Engineer.
Big Pete
Engineering Mentor
Currently located: Solihull, England

Post by Big Pete »

Years ago I was told that running costs, parts, labour & L.O. for a medium speed were double the costs of a slow speed of similar power. The running costs of a high speed engine are double those of a medium speed.
I think, as ball park figures, this still holds true.
BP
It is always better to ask a stupid question than to do a stupid thing.