A look at how the UK implemented STCW 2010

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Shame_on_TC_2017
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Canada

A look at how the UK implemented STCW 2010

Postby Shame_on_TC_2017 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:16 am

With all the chaos at the Federal government, complete mismanagement, and stupidity at Transport Canada in Ottawa regarding the marine personnel regulations and the SSB fiasco we should look at a real maritime country with a respected licensing system - The UK. They were on time and have their regulations regarding marine engineer licensing implemented in 2015 - ON TIME. The document is called MSN 1857 and was published on June 11, 2015.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -operators
1.PNG

I will look at the parallel situation for myself - a second class engineer who graduated from a cadet program and is trying to upgrade to a Chief engineer STCW. For background I was on leave from sea studying to write the part A exams when I was told by Ottawa - Bruno Duguay - that it wasn't necessary anymore. After winding down the studying and situation I had made for myself to upgrade I went back to sea. 9 months later it was canceled. I am making plans to take leave again to study - now we hear rumors that TC is combining second and chiefs to a management license to be inline with STCW compliant. Back and fourth and back and fourth as the examiners and TC go into seizures about complying with the IMO and STCW.

Let me ask Ottawa, how many times do you expect that I readjust my life to upgrade? There was a lot of people affected by the SSB Fiasco.

Lets look at what the UK is doing. - by the way it sounds a lot like the old SSB that got canceled.

2.PNG

You need 36 months of sea time as a EEOW.
You hold a second class license
Complete the safety courses
Complete an approved training program (cadet program)
Have a medical certificate.
Complete management level exams in motor and general engineering *

Note the header 8 and 9 on item (e)

3.PNG

Capture.PNG

From 2017 second and chief engineer knowledge exams will be COMBINED to one management level exam.
If you complete these exams you don't need to take a further exam for chief engineer stcw.

You must however do an oral exam for STCW III/2 chief engineer. Does this mean that a second class license holder only has to do a oral exam for chiefs?

As I understand this is similar to the old SSB, Bruno Duguay who was in charge of that SSB was basically doing the same thing as the UK. However it was in the form of a SSB and not passed into law. That is because transport Canada never got started until 2017. A shame those who are responsible get to hide in relative anonymity behind the dark glass on Sparks street. They fucked this up real bad.

I don't see what the problem is with following the UK and the rest of the world on this one. I guess all the port state harbour inspectors got their duties cut so bad that all they have left is to subjectively and with wildly inconsistent standards mark exams that people memorise answers off this very site. A far from good system and far far away from anything to be proud of.

If you look at marinedieseluk study books the exam questions in the UK are completely relevant and much better than Canadas joke of exam questions. Why cant they just stop fucking around and get on with it like the rest of the developed world. People getting failed for describing HFO and LNG fueled engines instead of MDO and HFO when asked about dual fuel in 2018...…..

Let the rest of us get on with our exams under a clear system that is passed into law and is consistent with the STCW.

The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: A look at how the UK implemented STCW 2010

Postby The Dieselduck » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Its not just the UK's system that like that. Nearly every jurisdiction whose STCW regs I come across are more or less the same way. I am in the process of updating the main website, and I have several of these regulation guides going up. The UK's is pretty typical, but somewhat harder to read than say Hong Kong's, whose been right out of the gate and had their STCW2010 regs up by 2012 I believe.

Its the same system in other "backwater countries" like: Australia, Norway, Sweden, France, etc etc, etc. All I want, like you - if the federal government will not protect us from international peers working tax free in Canada, then we should have an even playing field with my international peers. I think an even playing field for CoC is damn good place to start, and long overdue. Even playing field on income taxes is also a huge priority.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net

Revolver
Chief Engineer

Postby Revolver » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:39 am

The Dieselduck wrote: Even playing field on income taxes is also a huge priority.
Attachments
C1mGBSvWEAANu9k.jpg

Shame_on_TC_2017
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Canada

Postby Shame_on_TC_2017 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am

Can you imagine, Canadian licenses could be no longer STCW compliant. It’s like not having refresher training and expecting to sign on internationally. Then anyone working internationally could have their company reject them because they don’t have an internationally accepted license? Port state inspections in 2020 finds ship sailing with non stcw compliant engineer officers... from Canada.

I guess that’s what Transport Canada wants?

Many countries discharge books are all standard and include a place for receiving shore leave pass. If you have a Canadian discharge book - one that never expires you can’t go ashore in certain countries because our discharge book is not accepted. Imagine...

Transport Canada is like lead sinking to the bottom of the sea and dragging down all of us hard working engineers at sea. They are the ones who can’t handle it anymore and have quit the life at sea to sit at a desk.

Return to “Crew Mess”