Transfer Power Engineer to Marine Engineer possibility??

Going through the licensing process ? Have queries, comments, or do you need an answer to that obscure exam question ? This is the place to post.
Sh2323
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Calgary

Transfer Power Engineer to Marine Engineer possibility??

Post by Sh2323 »

Hello, everyone

During my power engineer study period, I used a book series called Reed's marine engineer. But i didn't pay attention to the title cause I was foucs on power engineer study along.

After working as power engineer for a while, I am start looking what can I do with my ticket. So, I caught Marine Engineer in my memory, be all my respect I know different trades require different perfessional skill sets. What I want to ask you guys is, otherthan the knowledge background is a little similar, do I get any advantages to aquire the Marine Engineer ticket? For example, direct transfer power engineer tickets to fourth Marine engineer without service time or with service time but no written exam required.

I am wondering if people would know something about it, rather than I am asking CIMarE directly. Hence I found very little information about the transfer on internet. (Maybe they don't allow the transfer at all)

Wish one day I am able to really join you guys.

Thank you all.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Transfer Power Engineer to Marine Engineer possibility??

Post by The Dieselduck »

I moved your topic over to training room as it is more appropriate place and I have OCD about the format of the board.

I haven't gotten that question in a long time. While everything is possible, this is not usually done. Most marine engineers leverage their knowledge and experience to move into a shore role, such as Power Engineer, rather than be away from family and life for so long. Where I live, the responsibility of overseeing Power Engineering is a provincial one instead of federal, so there is more leeway going from Marine to Power, the other way, almost no lee way.

The process of becoming a marine engineer is quite cumbersome, and I suspect not worth your time. I don't know where you are located or your age, but generally the rules are the same, and the big one is seatime. While credit should be given for your experience, it will not cover the full amount of sea time required. Getting sea time is not easy, because essentially you are at the bottom rung, and being treated like it. So if you already have a job, i doubt you will be able to take the pay hit it represents. Other thing, entry level jobs in the marine industry, especially in Canada, have pretty much been eliminated, so there is very few opportunities for this seatime.

To the theoretical portion, there is no equivalency. You will have to do all the exams from scratch. In Canada, that's how it is, probably the same where you are. Safety training all needs to be done as well, and must be from an approved institutions recognizes by the flag of the certification you are seeking.

CIMarE or similar are not in a position to assist, other than provide an opportunity to connect with a potential peer. You can check out the training page on the main site, its dated, but then again, here in Canada, not much as changed.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Sh2323
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Calgary

Re: Transfer Power Engineer to Marine Engineer possibility??

Post by Sh2323 »

The Dieselduck wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:48 am I moved your topic over to training room as it is more appropriate place and I have OCD about the format of the board.

I haven't gotten that question in a long time. While everything is possible, this is not usually done. Most marine engineers leverage their knowledge and experience to move into a shore role, such as Power Engineer, rather than be away from family and life for so long. Where I live, the responsibility of overseeing Power Engineering is a provincial one instead of federal, so there is more leeway going from Marine to Power, the other way, almost no lee way.

The process of becoming a marine engineer is quite cumbersome, and I suspect not worth your time. I don't know where you are located or your age, but generally the rules are the same, and the big one is seatime. While credit should be given for your experience, it will not cover the full amount of sea time required. Getting sea time is not easy, because essentially you are at the bottom rung, and being treated like it. So if you already have a job, i doubt you will be able to take the pay hit it represents. Other thing, entry level jobs in the marine industry, especially in Canada, have pretty much been eliminated, so there is very few opportunities for this seatime.

To the theoretical portion, there is no equivalency. You will have to do all the exams from scratch. In Canada, that's how it is, probably the same where you are. Safety training all needs to be done as well, and must be from an approved institutions recognizes by the flag of the certification you are seeking.

CIMarE or similar are not in a position to assist, other than provide an opportunity to connect with a potential peer. You can check out the training page on the main site, its dated, but then again, here in Canada, not much as changed.
Thanks for the reply. great information. you right I don't think I will take the pay cut.