martin's marine engineering page logo A classic looking American lighthouse, signaling the entrance of the strait of Mackinaw on Lake Michigan, picture by M Leduc, August 2013

Sun Ships

Tankers and shipyard

Authored by Martin Leduc
May 25, 2015
 

Sunoco LogoThe Sun Company is an American oil company established in 1886, in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, by founders Mr. Pew and Mr. Emerson. It 1920, it was renamed the Sun Oil Company, in 1976 it was renamed Sunoco Inc. and in 2012, became a subsidiary of Energy Transfer Partners, based in Dallas, Texas. The Canadian assets of Sunoco were known as Suncor Energy, and had a presence in the Alberta oil sands since 1967, until it sold in 1996.

The company started using tanker ships in 1901, and experienced the full developmental stages of what a modern oil tanker is mostly nowadays. The company ran ships in the domestic trade and in the international trade under the US flag. They suffered numerous casualties during the Second World War.

Sun Oil Company established their own shipyard in 1917, in Chester, Pennsylvania, known as Sun Shipbuilding and Drydock Company (Sun Ship), until it was sold in 1982. In the early 1940's, it was the single largest ship yard in the United States. They built numerous ships that utilized British Doxford opposed piston oil engines.

Sun Ships House Flag

Cayuga Sun
Cayuga Sun

Seneca Sun
Seneca Sun

Raritan Sun
Raritan Sun


Maumee Sun


Dynafuel
Dynafuel

Maumee Sun and Mystic Sun
Maumee Sun and Mystic Sun

Northern Sun and Eastern Sun
Northern Sun and Eastern Sun

Northern Sun
Northern Sun

These pictures of various Sun ships, are provide by friend of the site, and Sun navigational officer, Charles Leeuwenburg, of North Carolina. Thank you. 

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS (Level 3)