Igor sent us the following exam questions, encountered while taking the 2EKG exam, in September 2013 - Thanks !
A. Surface of engine bearings
B. Boiler shell plate
C. Centrifugal pump casing
D. Cylinder liner
Nathan sent us the following exam questions, encountered while taking the 2EKG exam, in March 2018. - Thanks !
01 - Sketch and describe a salinometer. How is it graduated? Why is it graduated for a specific temperature? How would you test water density of a multi-tubular boiler?
02 - What is stress when referring to engineering materials? Name the types of stresses acting on the following:
cylinder cover stud
the crank web
steam piston confecting rod on the down stroke
thrust shaft forward of the thrust collar
the propeller shaft aft of the stern tube
03 - Define the following:
Where would each occur in a boiler?
04 - Describe the open hearth process of manufacturing mild steel. What is meant by "acid" and "basic mild steel"? What parts of a boiler and engine are made of mild steel?
05 - Describe a Co2 refrigeration system. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Co2 as opposed to an ammonia system?
06 - Describe an emergency bilge pump. What are some rules for its use in relation to a passenger ship? How is it controlled?
07 - Sketch and describe a soda acid and portable foam fire extinguisher. What type of fires are both used for? How does the action of one differ from the other?
08 - Explain the procedures for dry docking a vessel for a full survey. What precautions are taken before undocking?
09 - Sketch and describe a metallic packing gland.
Posted April 2002
1. Define the following terms:
(a) Quantity of heat expressed in joules
(b) Specific heat capacity
(c) Calorific value
(d) Enthalpy of evaporation of steam
(f) Spontaneous combustion
Explain how you would experiment to find the specific heat capacity of a solid such as a piece of copper.
2. What is the average density of seawater. List forming salts which are usually present in
(a) Fresh water
(b) Sea water
At approx. what temperature do calcium sulfate and calcium carbonate deposit. Under what circumstances is the deposit of calcium chloride (common salt.) How would you find the density of water in the boiler.
3. Give a detailed description of
(b) soda acid
(Sketch) What fires are the extinguishers used for and how. Also how are they inspected, cared for and re-charged. How does the soda acid type differ in action from the foam type.
4. A new propeller is to be fitted to an existing shaft. State how you would do this giving shaft diameter and key sizes. When the propeller is fastened in position, how is it verified that it is fully in place.
5. Describe an engine indicator, how and why it is used. State how the mean effective pressure is obtained and how indicated power is calculated. Give an illustrated example.
6. Describe any type of steering gear with which you are familiar and state clearly how the movements of the steering gear are made to comply with those of the steering wheel.
7. What are the fill and empty arrangements for double bottom on water ballast tanks on ships. What type of valves are used and why. How would you pump out and fill a double bottom tank. What devices are fitted on double bottom tanks so air may escape. Why are the tanks full and where are the sounding pipes located.
8. Describe a refrigeration system suitable for a ship carrying frozen cargoes. Give the approximate temperature for storage of:
9. Describe a process known as annealing and tempering. Why is it after repairs are made to parts of machinery, annealing is required.
1. Give a detailed list of all the fire fighting equipment in the engine room and boiler room of a modern oil-burning vessel. How is this equipment tested. Make a diagrammatic sketch of the engine and boiler rooms showing the position of the equipment.
2. What defects develop in anchor cables and steering chains. How are the defects found and remedied.
3. Describe the type of engine usually installed in a lifeboat motor. Describe the cycles, also how reversing of the propeller is effected. What fuel is used.
4. Define the following process and state what purpose each would be used aboard a ship:
5. With reference to heat, give a definition of the following terms:
(d) Sensible heat
(e) Latent heat
Give examples where each of these occur in a boiler.
6. Describe the type of bilge chest fitted in the machinery space for connecting to the forward bilge’s. State the materials of the different parts. State or sketch the type of valve fitted. Also describe a method of passing the pipes through the watertight bulkhead.
7. Sketch and describe a mercurial barometer. In what units it is graduated. What is the average reading and how is this expressed in kilopascals (Kpa). What type of barometer sometimes takes place of a mercurial barometer.
8. Describe any type of governor suitable for the main propelling engines. Show how you are familiar with its construction and it’s operation.
9. Describe the telemotor system of the steering gear control. How is the expansion of fluid allowed for and what kind of fluid is used. How is the system charged and tested.
1. Why are lime and soda used in boilers? What is meant by acidity of the boiler water. What are the causes and what are the remedies for this. State how you would test the boiler water for acidity. If the boiler water were left in an acid condition, what effect would this have on the boiler.
2. Tanks that are used to carry fuel oil and ballast alternately, have this valve filling so the arrangement of the system cannot be inadvertently pumped out by the wrong pump. Describe this arrangement and sketch a suitable fitting to obtain this effect.
3. Wire gauge is sometimes fitted over the ventilators and pipe ends. How is this gauging fitted. Why is it used and specifically where is it used.
4. Sketch and describe a pneumatic tank gauge. Sate its use and explain how it operates. Does the specific gravity of the liquid in the tank have any effect on the reading of the gauge.
5. Describe the various mechanical tests, which are required for the material used in the boiler construction.
1. Describe the type of engine usually installed in a motor lifeboat. Describe the cycle also the starting procedure from cold. Explain how reversing the propeller is effected. What fuel is used.
2. Describe the installation of a sprinkler system or fire extinguishing apparatus and state how it operates.
3. Sketch a describe a salinometer. Show how it is graduated and explain why it is graduated for a specific temperature. Describe fully how you would determine the density of a multitude boiler with this salinometer.
4. In a new large reciprocating it was found that there was no markings on the flywheel. Describe in detail how you would place the engine on top dead centre with respect to a cylinder and how would you make a tunnel for future use.
5. What are the physical properties for the following parts:
A) The surface metal for main engine bearings.
B) Boiler tubes.
C) Steel plates for boiler shields.
D) Stern tube bearings.
6. Define the following:
A) Spontaneous combustion.
B) Enthalpy of evaporated steam.
C) Specific heat capacity.
D) Quantity of heat expressed in joules.
E) Calorific value.
7. Define the purpose and usefulness of www.dieselduck.net?
Additional Questions Submitted by Colin B.
01 Describe the manufacture of cast steel. Give figures for Tensile
strength: % elongation: % reduction in the area and yield point for a
02 Describe any type of refrigeration system you are
familiar with. On a vessel carrying frozen cargoes, such as meat, fish, and
vegetables, what temperatures would you carry?
03 Describe the construction of a steering
telemotor. How is it charged? How is it tested? What would you do if it
04 Sketch the bilge pumping system on your last
ship. What are bilge pipes made of and
05 Screens are sometimes fitted on ventilators. What
is the reason and importance of fitting them? How is the gauze wire fitted?
06 Define the following terms:- specific heat;
spontaneous combustion; calorific value; temperature. Describe an experiment
to find the specific heat of a piece of copper.
07 Describe how you would check a tail shaft for
wear down. On a 12” diameter shaft, how much wear down would you allow?
What might happen with excessive wear down?
08 What are muntz metal and monel metal? Where are
they used in marine work and why?
09 Describe any power steering gear you are familiar
with. What provision is made in case of failure?
10 Sketch and describe a pneumercator tank gauge.
Does the specific gravity of the liquid have any bearing on the reading?
11 Describe a machinery breakdown you have
experienced at sea. How were repairs effected?
12 Describe with the aid of a sketch the function,
construction, and use of a salinometer. Describe its graduations and why it
is marked for a specific temperature.
13 Describe how you would find the IHP and the BHP
of an engine using indicator cards and a dynamometer.
14 How would you prepare a ship for dry-docking? What precautions are
necessary before, during, and after dry-docking?
15 What is the calorific value and the constituents
of fuel as used in a diesel engine? What percentage of the
heat in the fuel is put to useful work? Explain what losses occur. What is
the composition of the exhaust gases and how could these losses be reduced?
16 What is the composition of sea water? At what
density would a boiler be operated if salt water had to used and what would
be the result?
17 How are anchor cables and steering chains
inspected for defects? What defects are usually found and how are they
18 Describe the fire detection and extinguishing
apparatus fitted on a passenger ship. Include the sprinkler system.
19 Describe a ballast system for an average cargo
vessel. What is the important difference between a ballast and bilge system?
20 How is a liner fitted to a tail shaft? How is the
thickness of the liner calculated? What is fitted between the end of the
liner and the propeller hub and why?
21 Describe a soda acid and a foam fire
extinguisher, giving details of construction, contents, operation, and
22 Describe a four cycle motor as fitted in a
ship’s lifeboat, giving details of its installation, and method of
23 Describe how a spare blade is fitted to a built
up propeller and how the pitch is found.
24 What are the physical properties of cast steel
and cast iron? How are they distinguished from each other? Describe the
manufacture of a small casting.
25 What are pitting, corrosion, and encrustation?
Give their causes, effects and remedies. Describe the survey of boiler for
26 Referring to oils, define flash point and firing
point. Describe the closed test for flash point.
27 What means are taken to prevent water and oil
being incorrectly pumped in a ballast and fuel oil system?
28 Describe a marine steam turbine and its
29 Sketch and describe a quadrant and tiller for a
steering gear, showing how they are connected to the rudder post and how the
rudder post is let through the counter. What happens when a heavy sea
strikes the rudder?
30 Describe an emergency bilge pump and how it is controlled. What are the
regulations governing its use on a passenger ship?
31 Describe the construction and use of an
evaporator. Name all its fittings and their uses.
32 Describe the construction and operation of a
purifier for lubricating oil.
33 What are the principal combustibles in petroleum
and diesel fuel oil? Give an approximate analysis of each of these fuels. In
what proportions do these combustibles combine with the atmospheric air to
produce heat? Give an exact definition of combustion.
34 Describe a dry type sprinkler system for a
passenger vessel. How is the compressed air maintained in the system and how
is the valve reset after tripping?
35 Describe any type of governor suitable for the
main propelling engine. Show that you are familiar with its construction and
36 Describe the construction and operation of a
duplex double acting feed pump. Describe how the steam slide valves are set.
37 Describe a stern tube and propeller shaft. How are they fitted in a new ship?
38 Describe the function, construction and action of
a mercurial barometer. What is the meaning of its graduations? What other
type of barometer could be used
39 Define “stress”. What is the nature of the
stresses set up in the following:- piston rod; thrust collar; crank web;
propeller shaft; safety valve spring; cylinder head stud?
40 Define the following:- force; work; power; mass;
weight; friction; energy.
41 What fire fighting equipment is fitted on an oil
burning vessel? How is it used to fight a bilge fire in an engine room?
42 Define the following:- Mechanical Efficiency;
Thermal Efficiency; Volumetric Efficiency; Scavenge Efficiency. Give the
approximate values for each in diesel engine you are familiar with.
43 What faults could develop in a three stage air
compressor and what measures must be taken to prevent accidents?
44 Describe an observation tank and a cofferdam.
Describe the purpose of each, naming all the fittings.
45 Describe the process of electric welding. What
parts of a boiler may be repaired by this process?
46 What is meant by factor of safety? What does it
depend upon? Give factors for boilers; piston rods; propeller shafting; and
state why they differ. What is meant by dead load, live load and alternating
load, and for which type of load would you allow the greatest factor of
47 Describe a modern method used to treat feed water
for a high pressure water tube boiler. Why is this necessary?
48 Describe a bridge gauge and
explain its uses. If no gauge were available, how would you check the
49 Describe a variable stroke pump as used in a
50 Describe how the following engines are reversed:-
Triple expansion steam engine; Steam turbine; Directly reversible diesel
engine; geared diesel engine.
51 Name the various tests given to the metals
commonly used in marine engineering. What information would you expect to
gain from these tests?
51 Describe a reversing gear for a small diesel
Additional Questions Submitted by Bill Feb. 17, 2003
1) Describe how you would measure a tail shaft while in dry-dock. What would be the maximum wear of a lignum vitae stern bush for a shaft diameter of 300mm? What would be the effects of wear of the stern bush?
2) Describe the fire extinguishing equipment found on a motor ship. What type of extinguishers would be used on :
a) a fire in accommodations
b) a fire on tank top
c) an electrical fire
3) Describe a major breakdown at sea that you helped to repair.
4) Describe the tests used and the reading you would expect to find on the steel used in the construction of a tail shaft.
5) What is meant by IHP and BHP? How are they determined? Explain the use of an indicator and a dynamometer.
6) Describe a feed pump for a boiler, naming the materials and how it operates.
7) Completely describe a hydraulic steering gear you are familiar with. Describe pumping the system through. What pressure does it normally operate at?
8) What are economizers and heaters as per boiler exhausting? What are causes of moisture in the same? How is moisture prevented?
9) Describe a Co2 refrigeration system. How does it compare to a Ammonia system.