where do we get all this great stuff ?
Martin's Marine Engineering Page - www.dieselduck.net thanks the following contributors
Scott K, Nick D. Jean Francois for technical advice
and help. Cat & Nol, Pascal and Doug for donating valuable web space to get the
site started, even if they didn't know it. Julie M. for putting up with me.
Tom Bates, James Jensen, Ion Livas, and Alfons Verheijden, Patrick Burke, for their extensive submissions in the Historical area.
Art M. for donating a pile of First Class ME exams. A very big thank you to Dave B, Karim, Walt P, Colin B, Bill P, Serge A, Bosco D, Mihai, John C, Igor K, for providing many 1st and 2nd questions. Wayne K, Peter B, Brian P, Myles O, Colin B, Stephan L, Jodi G. Luke K. Mike H, Ajay T, for submitting exam help and questions (3rd class), Geoff and BB for 2nd class. AS for his 4th Class questions. Robin C. and his partners for the tremendous amount of work on the First Class questions. Nathan L., Mike R, for Mike's Guides. Thanks goes to Edwin M for the review of regs. Jonh Mc|Donald for submitting USCG exams questions.
Darren Williams, marine lawyer, for his
excellent, insightful legal articles. JK for the informative posts on the
Monitor, pictures, tid bits but mostly for the many helpful replies in the
various forums. Barry Dressel, Laurent David for clarifications on the history
of the diesel engine. Barun Gupta and Kumar Surendra Prassad for their papers on
LNG shipping and technology. Carissa B. for donating her time and comments. Tom
(bilgerat) Winkle for pictures, stories and anecdotes.
Kaz H, Peter F, Juan M, Bruce W, Christoph B, Dave G, Slattery, Craig B, David B, David W, Jim A, Bill B, Adrian P, Maurice S, Lou C, Jim & Charles L, Richard, Andrew T, Norm N, Erik D, Gerry, David S, Gerhard G, Sam W, Dale P, John G, Daniel A, Brian G, Nic L, Chris C, Alan R, Nick T, Greg McK, Hans, Timothy P, Per-Ake K, John N, Raul B, Bob S. Mikkel E., Alastair T, Rick B, Tom W, Graeme H, Farooq N, Charles N. etc, for their jokes, articles, pictures and poems.
Also, a thank you goes out to the casual input, that makes the site more accurate; such as from Cornelius R for exam input. John Sykes for diesel's historical tidbits, and Erik O on the Cunard stuff.
(Some) Reference books on Marine Engineering
In the format of: book title, author, publisher, year. Also, some include my personal rating (should have in your library).
- Marine Engine Blue Book
William D Eglinton, Cornel Maritime Press 1993
- Nuclear Ships of the World
Joseph M Dukert, Coward McCann & MacGreghegan 1973
- The Motor Ship Reference Book 20th Edition
Temple Press 1960
- Mariner's Book of Days
Peter Specter, Wooden Boat Books 1999
- Ships and the Sea
Peter Kemp, Oxford University Press 1988
- What ship is that?
Bob Basnight, Lyons & Burford 1996
- Reed's Steam Engineering Knowledge
Thomas Morton, Thomas Reed Publications 1987
- Introduction to marine engineering
D A Taylor, Butherworth Heinemann, 1995
10/10 must have for new engineers - ml
- The running and maintenance of marine machinery
Institute of Marine Engineers 1994
10/10 Excellent and up to date ref for all - ml
- Reed's Applied Mechanics
William Embleton, Thomas Reed Publications 1994
- Reed's Naval architecture
EA Stokoe, Thomas Reed Publications 1991
- Reed's Applied Heat
William Embleton, Thomas Reed Publications 1991
- Marine Log Magazine
Simmons-Boardman Publications, check it out online
- Marine diesel engines
N. Caldier, Highmark Publishing Ltd. 1987
- Marine diesels
D. Burghart & G. Kingsley, Prentice Hall Inc. 1981
- Pounder's marine diesel engines
Sixth Edition, C.T. Wilbur & D.A. Wright, Butterworth-Heineman Ltd. 1984
- Professional Mariner Magazine
Navigator Publishing LLC, check it out online
- Marine Gas Turbines
John B. Woodward, John Wiley & Sons, 1975
5/10 Mostly military and lots of theory stuff - ml
- Tanker Operations: A handbook for ship's officer
GS Marton, Cornell Maritime Press 1992
- Diesel: the man and the engine
Morton Grosser, McClelland & Stewart 1978
8/10 Very interesting - ml
- Marine Auxiliary Machinery
E. Souchotte, Newnes-Butterworth 1975
- Standard Plant Operators' Manual
S. Elonka, McGraw Hill 1980
- Low Speed Marine Diesel
John B. Woodward, John Wiley & Sons 1981
6/10 Compact and informative - ml
- Lamb's question and answers on the marine Diesel engine, 7th Edition
Stanley G. Christensen, Charles Griffin & Co. Ltd 1978
8/10 quite comprehensive, good studying for EKM for senior eng. - ml
- Admiralty Manual of Seamanship. Volume 1, 2, 3
UK Ministry of Defense 1981
8/10 Complete and thorough - ml
Part of my technical book library in 2008 (notice Thomas the Train - that's my EK steam collection)
Still looking for Marine Engineering reference and research material; text books and such? The list below, compiles, pretty extensively, published Marine Engineering works.
- Scientific Journals of the Maritime University of Szczecin, in Poland
- Compendium of published Marine Engineering text and reference books. List 1, List 2
- Compendium of published Marine Engineering thesis papers
- 2004 Elsevier Technical Books Publisher list of books, relevant to Marine Engineer (as well as other technical professionals)
- 2010 Bibliography forum Canadian Transportation Research Forum A list of research papers on transportation issues in Canada
- Older price list of Marine Engineering text books at BCIT in Vancouver