CSL Trillium Class - Engine Room Crew

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
Sea Rover
Deck Plate Wanderer

CSL Trillium Class - Engine Room Crew

Post by Sea Rover »

Does anyone know how many engine room crew are on the CSL Trillium class vessels? What kind of watches do they stand? What is the leave system? Does the Chief Engineer stand a watch or are they on day work?
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: CSL Trillium Class - Engine Room Crew

Post by Revolver »

Chief, 2nd, & 3rd.
2nd and 3rd do 12hrs of watches a day.
Chief just mills around doing whatever and answers emails all day haha, last I understood.

Maybe they have chiefs standing watches now to save the OT, CSL is cheap. But according to the collective agreement for engineers the C/E are not allowed to stand watches under normal operations because it mucks with the engineers OT or something I guess. C/E are not the same union.
Sea Rover
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Sea Rover »

Running a self unloader with only 3 Engineers and no Electrician. Sounds like an absolute nightmare to me. I wonder how they manage?

What type of leave system do they have?
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

Last I heard, it was Chinese Watches, go on an stay on.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

You got that right. I worked on them as a 4th while getting time for my 3rd and then I did some other gigs... So I only heard from old co-workers that it's quite the work load. Any work needing to be done outside normal watch keeping must be quite tasking. (Even just bunkering certain times for example, 2nd has to be on deck and an engineer has to be downstairs)
Most of the bugs are worked out of those vessels now, but the ship quality overall is fairly cheap - Chinese built. But they run well enough to be manageable when they run smooth...

Leave is essentially 6 weeks/6 weeks
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

JollyJack wrote:Last I heard, it was Chinese Watches, go on an stay on.
Well yeah you have a point, you have to be sure to assert yourself if you want 6weeks on/off... If you don't say anything, or want to stay aboard, you'll be working straight all season haha
Save them travel expenses? They're all for it haha
JollyJack
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: Eastern Canada

Post by JollyJack »

The best, most knowledgeable Chief I ever sailed with was fired because he insisted on getting off on December 12th, 14 days over his 3 month hitch. He wanted Xmas with his kids, Irving got him home from Boston, then fired him. He joined another ship on a regular run with another company and retired from that ship 20 years later.
Discourage incest, ban country "music".
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

Well how does it go?
If a company won't treat it's employees well, another company will.
Sea Rover
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by Sea Rover »

The companies on the Lakes have recently become very hostile towards Engineers. I'm not sure why.
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Post by Revolver »

The lakes have an antiquated mind set, and engineers are starting to realize we're in demand and have skills they need so we want better treatment Haha and that's ticking them off?

Seemed like the lakes are full of old 4th class holders who act as 4th/3rd and rarely want to go home...Younger people want equal time.
They're going to be hurting, even worse, for 2nds/chiefs in like 5-10 years heh