Seafarers Union Worth it?

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
olivier5060
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Victoria, BC

Seafarers Union Worth it?

Post by olivier5060 »

Hi,

I am looking for about 120 sea days in order to write my 4th class engineering...I currently work as a casual on a ferry and my count is growing too slow...about 12 days per month... and probably less with winter coming. so is the SIU worth it as an engine room rating fellow? I called the Vancouver office but they wouldn't let me know how many oiler / ERA they placed last year, or how many are in the line up for jobs... :?:
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Seafarers Union Worth it?

Post by The Dieselduck »

I don't think the SIU in Vancouver has placed any, ever. Of course I have been wrong many times, eheheh.

In that part of the world, ferries and coast guard are your safest best, Coast Guard in particular, 12 hrs days add up quick, and they still have some Oiler positions. You can also try FRPD on the dredge, not sure what they need, but Im sure they would need oilers.

Here's the link for CCG application.

https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/ ... er=1110147
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
olivier5060
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Victoria, BC

Post by olivier5060 »

The ferries and is slow like-12-15days per month 8hr days because you start as casual, applied a few times to CCG and I keep emailing every 2 months for a security status process which apparently I don't even need as an oiler... Seriously the job add for oiler keeps getting the date extended... Seems like a dead-end in those unprecedented times.

Would another SIU office be better at getting me an oiler job?
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

the CG keeps extended the dates on a lot of their job postings as it is easier to do that then go through all of the HR again. Government hiring policy is a bear. It's tough to get on steady there. I don't know what it is like now, but to be hired indeterminate full time is like a visitation from on high. Keep trying and good luck.
blackhatch
Deck Plate Wanderer

Post by blackhatch »

If you are looking for oiler time your best bet would be to contact one of the Great lakes companies. probably one of the only places left using oilers on a large scale