What’s life like at WCMRC?

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
frzr
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Canada

What’s life like at WCMRC?

Post by frzr »

How much does a fourth engineer make hourly or salary, what’s the shifts like, what’s the work like, how is the company, overtime, etc. I have met a few people through training programs that seem pretty happy there, but can’t find much information online. They do always seem to be hiring, so thought I’d try and get the scoop.

Thanks!
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: What’s life like at WCMRC?

Post by The Dieselduck »

I moved this post over to the general job area, for organizational reasons.

About six years ago, WCMRC posted a wanted add for a Class 1 driver license and a Class 3 Marine Engineer combined. This i think is pretty rare, so I applied, since I do have those qualifications. Of course they jumped on it, and we went back and forth several times. They finally asked me what salary I was looking for. Since either of those licenses can bring in about 100k a year, I stated that 110k would be interesting to me, really the same Ive been making for the previous years. I was then ghosted.

A year later, I heard from someone inside the organization, that the salary offered for that was in the neighborhood of 65k a year. Definitely inadequate for me. They have since grabbed a great deal of retired BC Ferries engineers; with an additional pension, these level of wages might be livable, but not if you have a family to support. Even in Port Alberni, one of the cheapest places to live in BC, you would have to be in the neighborhood of 120 k a year for it to be interesting.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
CMChiefEng
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Vancouver Island

Re: What’s life like at WCMRC?

Post by CMChiefEng »

Having been employed there as a casual, and having applied when they were opening the new Port Alberni Base, I can honestly tell you that they scrambled to come up close to Industry standard. While it is still low, the last I heard was a 3rd Class was making in the neighbourhood of $51 an hour and they are STILL trying their hardest to recruit Engineers for Alberni.

The people there amazing to work with. Young, energetic, welcoming. You'll have those who's personality you clash with but you'll get that in any job site or industry. The company has been spending money like crazy over the last 4 years to increase their fleet of skimmers, response vessels, landing crafts, equipment and personnel.

I encourage you to walk into any WCMRC location that is close to you and ask questions. From my experience they are open and honest about what they do and how they do it.

Follow them on facebook and browse their website. They post job openings regularly.
Philip Mollet
3rd Class Motor
Currently Engineering a desk in an office with no windows (throwback to an ECR perhaps?)