Best area to focus on for onshore work?

In this area, you can comment on employers, trends, jobs, rumors affecting the jobs and job prospect of Marine Engineers.
harrisong
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Calgary

Best area to focus on for onshore work?

Post by harrisong »

Life is changing. I need to find work onshore. 3rd class motor. I see a lot of opportunities at TC but seems like you need to have higher ticket mostly. I am looking to broaden my focus on other areas and am curious if anyone has any other interesting suggestions. What other types of industries would find a marine ticket valuable?
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Best area to focus on for onshore work?

Post by The Dieselduck »

That's an excellent topic, I am in a very similar situation. TC does take 3rds, but yeah, with so many non canadian first class floating around, why would they.

There was a podcast where one engineer moved into power engineering, working in Hospital and such, but in BC you'll need Safety Authority certification. At the end of the day, while the gap between sea pay and shore pay has closed considerably over the years, sea pay is still slightly better than shore pay, so there is that. But then again the mental health aspects are definitely way better.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
harrisong
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Calgary

Re: Best area to focus on for onshore work?

Post by harrisong »

Yes, the last time I inquired about power engineering the rules seemed to have changed. It is now mandatory to do the full power course. Even though a lot of the classes are the same unfortunately.