abb tps 48 turbocharger

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
pradeep6096
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: india

abb tps 48 turbocharger

Post by pradeep6096 »

hello..anyone can give me any video reference of how to remove and overhaul an abb tps48 turbocharger..mounted on a wartsila gene..have manual and everything..just need video reference as one can be found for ihi turbocharger on net..thanks in advance
Revolver
Chief Engineer

Re: abb tps 48 turbocharger

Post by Revolver »

Have the manual, but need a video reference...

Don't want to be pessimistic, bud, but you should probably get an ABB technician (and learn from he/she), rather than a YouTube video...

What position/rank are you in?
Where are you geographically, any ABB vendors near you?
pradeep6096
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: india

Post by pradeep6096 »

i'm third engineer..first time doing waersila gene with abb turbo
popeye62
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Post by popeye62 »

Hello Pradeep, I hope that in the intervening 2.5 years you have sorted it out and are now familiar with the job. A couple of comments re TPS t/c's; they are considerably more user friendly than VTR's because the bearings are mounted in the centre rather than on each end of the shaft and consequently when removing the cartridge they are not disturbed. By far the best procedure is to carry a spare, fully overhauled and balanced cartridge from ABB. I appreciate the capital cost ($60K?) is prohibitive but it can save a lot of time and trouble. I don't know how your company operates or the size of its fleet but could a spare be kept ashore and moved around the fleet? Turbines are deceptively simple pieces of kit but run so close to the edge of tolerance that they must be well looked after. This is where I bang on about LO cleanliness again. The T/C is lubricated by the engine system oil and on a trunk piston engine like this (W46?) the cleanliness of the oil is crucial. The sump should have an optimally running separator on it 24/7/365 whether the engine is running or stopped and never run the engine for more than 30 minutes without. You are likely burning 180 or 380 so regular in-service t/c cleaning is essential. Ensure all delta-P gauges and manometers are working (including CAC) and part of the routine daily log, clean the silencer and filter covers often and cover the filters with filter cloth. Operate the t/c within limits, check your wastegates and blow-by v/v's for correct operation and don't allow it to surge continually
If you do decide to strip down the cartridge, good for you, there is nothing particularly difficult about it just be methodical and read the manual and make sure you have all the spares before you start. That is the first job, a full inventory of the t/c spares and that does not include UBG spares ("Used but good") they should be in the machine or in the bin. Stick to basic principles of a professional third and avoid Youtube unless they are the official Youtube channels of ABB. Best of luck.