westfalia Purifier Problem

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Charlytango
First Time Poster
Currently located: United kindom

westfalia Purifier Problem

Post by Charlytango »

Westfalia Diesel oil separator tripping on WATER OUTLET Flow too High,Separation stopped after running for between 30-40mins..what could be wrong
Attachments
ALARM
ALARM
popeye62
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Re: westfalia Purifier Problem

Post by popeye62 »

It is difficult without knowing the model and the attachment is missing. If the alarm is the water monitoring system (WMS-Unitrol?) then check that, clean the conductivity sensor, check the water outlet valve.
Is there actually a lot of water? This can only come from the fuel itself (does the gas oil come from a settling tank, where you can visually check for water or straight from the bunker?) or the operating/conditioning water supply e.g. is the displacement water valve passing? Try reducing the sludge cycle to 30 minutes and observe. A lot of separator problems can be figured out by running them in manual, just follow the auto sequence with the operation of the valves. The machine is coming off separation because it cannot cope with the amount of real or apparent water.
amir_master19891368
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: ship

Post by amir_master19891368 »

Hello
I am amir,I am 4/E of tanker,I have same problem with my L.O purifier and the model is westfalia OSD18.
After starting the purifier after 30-40min, the purifier will be stopped due to "water outlet flow too high" alarm.
Filling valve for water is almost shut and it is open almost 1 round.
I do not know how can I fix it.
Please tell me some advices.
popeye62
Officer of the Watch

Post by popeye62 »

Hello Amir, sorry to hear of your troubles. Please provide more details. Is this ME? How long has it been happening (after overhaul)?
Is the water outlet flow too high? Is water filling the sludge tank through the open water outlet valve? If yes, where is the water coming from; the oil or the separator? Which filling valve, for sealing/displacement water in the top? You are referring to a manual valve (1 round turn open)? The filling is controlled by a solenoid valve, is it working correctly? Check the program for all your timers, is there any operation occuring at the time the alarm comes? I am presuming that the separator is not completing a separation cycle. What control panel do you have?
amir_master19891368
Bilge Dweller

The control panel is GEA. The cycle is not being completed when the alarm is shown. It has been accured after 1200hrs after overhauling and there is no any leakage from bowl. For filling valve I meant the manual valve before the solenoid valve. displacement water comes through solenoid valve on the top of the Separator, before that solenoid valve there is the a manual valve for water. Yes it is for main engine sump oil. Water is for the Separator because no.2 L.O purifier working properly. I have problem with No.1.
Last edited by amir_master19891368 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
amir_master19891368
Bilge Dweller

Thank you for your attention
popeye62
Officer of the Watch

Post by popeye62 »

Hello Amir
If the water is real and is not coming from the sump then it must be coming from the operating system, most likely the filling/displacement water.
Why is the manual valve only one turn open? It should be fully open. The flow of water to the separator is determined by the supply and the orifice plate in the top connection. Check the flow with a calibrated bucket that it is in the range of what is stated in your manual (I have an OSD 35 manual which states 1800 l/h and between 2-3 b), check the in-line filter and any pressure reducing valves. Check the correct orifice plate is fitted and the NRV. Check if the solenoid valve is passing and continually filling the bowl. Observe the time the solenoid valve is open and for how long, does it match the program settings? Good luck.
amir_master19891368
Bilge Dweller

Thank you for your advice. I will check them all. Thanks a lot.
Christianfourth96
First Time Poster
Currently located: In ship

Post by Christianfourth96 »

I have the same problem in my Gea purifier. I'm onboard now in tanker vessel. Do you have any idea how to rectify this alarm "Water outlet flow too high" Thanks.
Shandy.226
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: India

Post by Shandy.226 »

Hello, I am 4E taken over an old vessel I have ME LO purifier of model OSD 18- 0196. I have renewed all Orings, checked the flow of water from solenoid valves and factory set the parameters. But there is an alarm that is water seal broken during timer T35.T35 is timer for water seal broken. This comes randomly after 1 min or 15 min or even 2 hours. And when I overhauled the purifier I couldn't find gravity disc in it. Is gravity disc required? And bcs of that I this alarm coming or some other reason? Kindly help and advice
popeye62
Officer of the Watch

Post by popeye62 »

Hello Shandy.226. The 0196 with UNITROL does not have a gravity disc as the upper centripetal pump acts like one. The liquid, whether water or oil is pumped into the sensor chamber where the pressure switch and the conductivity sensor are located. If it's oil it goes through the recirc. valve back into the feed, if it's water then the valve opens to the sludge tank. T35 is a bit complicated as it is the delay time that is somehow connected to the activated WMS and SMS. 'Seal broken' to me, means that oil is being detected not water. What happens when this alarm sounds? Does the machine partial eject, full eject, shutdown? According to the manual I have with a D10 or D20 control panel T35 is set at 30 seconds, check that. Can you give us any more information?
Shandy.226
Bilge Dweller

Post by Shandy.226 »

Thank you for replying Popeye62. T35 water seal broken - when it activates the separation process stops with no ejection. There is actually no time settings given in the manual. But in panel its 10 seconds. Mine is D10 panel. But I have tried to increase time setting to 60 secs and 0 sec also. But still the alarm comes. If the conductivity sensor detects oil and circulates back then why the separation process stops? Now it's coming within 1min as the separation starts. I tried changing timing of filling also but still it comes. Because when alarm comes the help button shows to check filling valves. I have cleaned the solenoid block but still this alarm keeps on coming.
popeye62
Officer of the Watch

Post by popeye62 »

Have you tried all the possible causes for Alarm #40 - No Water Seal (I can't attach the picture for some reason)?
1. Clean oil discharge pressure too high. V7 valve working, is the manual valve gagged, pressure gauge good, PT1 ok and same as gauge?
2. Filling water V2 ok. Filling may be the issue. Check the flow with a bucket and a stopwatch. Is there an orifice in the line?
3. Filling water volume too low e.g. other consumers at the same time?
4. V2 ok (again) or filter soiled - is there an inline filter?
5. Water pressure for hydraulics too high or closing water pulse T06 too long?
6. Separating zone displacement - product temperature too low. What is your LO temp?
7. Wrong sensing liquid pump fitted - diameter too large. Is this likely?
8. Pressure transmitter PT2 bridged or set to 0. You have checked all the settings but is it working?
I would check the volumes of filling water as it says 'check filling valves'
Good luck, John
Shandy.226
Bilge Dweller

Post by Shandy.226 »

Earlier the water volume for filling , displacement and operating water was very low. Found that there was a pressure reducer valve in line going to the solenoid valves which was choked. Because of that bowl was not closing and back pressure low alarm was coming. After rectifying the reducer valve, and then checked the flow of water it's pressure was good and bowl started closing. But next alarm was water seal broken during timer T35. So then checked the orifice of filling line , it was clear. Then removed the filling line hose from solenoid block and started the sequence of separation. The flow of water and pressure was also good. And tried again by connecting the hose but the alarm comes when the T35 timer reaches. I tried increasing the timer to 100 secs and tried desludging but the ejection sound doesn't come and desludging doesn't takes place. Adjusted total ejection time from 2.5 secs to 3 secs but still that sound doesn't come. The ampere of the motor increases but that sound doesn't come . If the pressure of the water is too high then desludge should take place ? Are all these problem interconnected?
popeye62
Officer of the Watch

Post by popeye62 »

Is the speed OK, belt and clutch? Still sounds like a water problem but you have improved the flow for the operating water maybe there is still not enough for filling(?). Is it possible a hose is damaged internally and restricting the flow? I'm not sure what you mean by a de-sludge should happen if the pressure of the water is too high, which water, the operating or filling? The bowl maybe ejecting but you don't hear anything because there is nothing in it to eject. Have you tried running it in full manual? Override the solenoid valves and close the bowl and then fill it until you see some pressure and then open the feed then try and eject it.