Question regarding overhaul of main propulsion on RoRo ferry

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Aavenger
Mechanic

Question regarding overhaul of main propulsion on RoRo ferry

Post by Aavenger »

Hello fellow colleague
Just a question regarding overhaul of main engines on a RoRo ferry.Class has instructed owners after 5 years to visit berhaul top end of engines.Engines all running well oil sampling ok vibration analysis ok,borescope all ok.In years past an 8 year(20)used to be required.Can any one enlighten me as to why this expensive work must be done while all is in tip top shape?
Makes no sense also the hours on units not being considered,again illogical to me. Regards Rick Brown C.eng ret
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer
Currently located: South Coast UK

Re: Question regarding overhaul of main propulsion on RoRo ferry

Post by Merlyn »

Civil Servants?
That’s the answer over here ( UK )
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Aavenger
Mechanic

Post by Aavenger »

You got it !!Its a government run ferry,refits take months.Hauling apart pumps with 20 hours on em that put back together wrong by yard…Totally BS.
Ship is up out of the water before DNV shows up and pumps all torn down..of course no parts available shore crowd dropped the ball..frustrating as hell as Chief!Im retired and only relieve but I know how it should b done..
In Canada
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

That old song “ Things ain’t what they used to be “ is true big time over here. Cock up jobs abound. Lack of staff able to do the job, lack of skills more so than ever. No pride in the job any more. Best blokes sadly gone. Can’t even get a waiter over here. The only way is down and down. Glad I’m up the other end of the tunnel work wise.
Remembering The Good Old days, when Chiefs stood watches and all Torque settings were F.T.
Aavenger
Mechanic

Post by Aavenger »

Agree I enjoy the odd hitch but it amazes me.Some chaps don’t even want to change out an injector,hate to see me coming..We overhauled all our gear up n my day!Now it’s reps
And ship yard crew……I’m glad I’m on the other end too…Last 5 year renewal
For me…
Merlyn
Fleet Engineer

Post by Merlyn »

Folk over here think my old bearing scraper is for cleaning head faces off, everyone talks of crank reground sizes in M.M. ( Mickey Mouse to me ) and with the passage of time have never heard of feet and inches.
Sometimes I feel like an Alien in my own country.
Still maintain we had the best of it all looking backwards on it all.
Aavenger
Mechanic

Post by Aavenger »

100% agree