Ball & Kirch Automatic Filter Type: 6.64.1

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
mdjahirul
Tanktop Cleaner
Currently located: Bangladesh

Ball & Kirch Automatic Filter Type: 6.64.1

Post by mdjahirul »

Hello Sir,
I am Md. Jahirul Islam, working in a HFO power plant with Wartsila W18V46 engine. Our LO system equipped with Ball & Kirch automatic filter Type: 6.64.1 DN200.

Main moving part of the filter have two parts which connected by locking bolts as shown in the photo. Bolts are locked by locking washer. During dismantling we found there is a play in the lower part. Seems bolts loose but lock position okay. Is there anyone experienced the same problem?
Attachments
Ball & Kirch Filter- Main moving parts.jpeg
popeye62
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Re: Ball & Kirch Automatic Filter Type: 6.64.1

Post by popeye62 »

Go on, I'll give it a go but there will be straw grasping. Hello Md. Jarihul Islam, I've worked on a few B&K's but don't remember seeing this issue.
Were all four bolts the same i.e. did they all have the same amount of slack? Was there any sign of fretting between the two parts of the central selector mechanism when you took it apart? I can think of only two reasons they are slack and there was no chance of them untightening due to the tab washer: they were never tight - but this is unlikely or the bolts have been stretched. The central selector mechanism isolates one set of candles from the rest of the filter. The set lined up on the two ports in the photo is backflushed with compressed air without interrupting the flow of oil through the filter. Is everything calibrated properly; air pressure, selector mechanism alignment when it's turned by the motor, sludge valve opening fully, clean sludge filter (if fitted?) and low diff. press., air vent (the little ball-cock type thing) working and its drain pipe clear? Does it flush on diff. pressure or does it go on the timer? It is possible that the bolts have stretched over a long time(?) under cyclic pressure variations and with the heat though probably only 80 deg. C. Check the mating surfaces are flat, change the bolts and washers and you should be good to go. Put it in the PMS for the next guy to check. Good luck.