Davits removal

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Commerciale
First Time Poster
Currently located: Italia

Davits removal

Post by Commerciale »

Good day to all,
I am looking for some info on man hours to remove a lifeboat davit from a passenger ship, the required activity includes the disassembly of the davit, with all accessories, electrical systems and piping as shown in the attached pics, any help would be greatly appreciated,
many thanks in advance and keep safe.
M.B.
Attachments
doc1.pdf
(941.79 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
popeye62
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Re: Davits removal

Post by popeye62 »

Ciao, Commerciale. A useful reference for yard work is 'A Guide to Ship Repair Estimates in Man-Hours' by Don Butler, unfortunately there is nothing specific re. lifeboat davits. Presuming a dockside crane is available, the boat is away and the falls are off the sheaves and back on the drum then it doesn't look like a big job. As it is gravity lower and electric hoist the the only electrics are to the motor/winch and brake assembly, the starter and a limit switch. I can't see any pipes unless you are referring to conduit for the cables (?) After removing the hinge pins at the foot and the mid hinge pins it looks like it will lift off. Does the foundation have to be removed, the bit welded to the ship? Is it all going back on or can it be 'disassembled' with a gas-axe? Regarding time, I'm going for two guys and a rigger, for 8 hours so 24 man-hours. Anybody?
John