Alfalaval HFO separator S825

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
jejerooooome
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Europe

Alfalaval HFO separator S825

Post by jejerooooome »

Hi!
I am currently onboard as a 3E on a tanker vessel. I had a problem with one of our HFO separators. I have tried almost all of the possible problems stated in the manual and ones that I have read thru posts in the internet.

The purifier was running perfectly before I stopped one time when we are at port. Then, when I was about to run in again, the problem started. There was feed pressure but to no avail, back pressure is not rising. at first, I thought it was just the PT4 sensor, I replaced it and yet the same. I overhauled the bowl and replaced seals, still the same. I also replaced the flow valves and check the operation of the solenoid and they are still working fine. Do you have any idea what might be the problem?

Thank you in advance!
1% everyday is better than 100% in one day
popeye62
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Re: Alfalaval HFO separator S825

Post by popeye62 »

Hello jejerooooome.
What grade of fuel are you using? Has it changed recently?
What is the inlet pressure (PT1) with the fuel circulating?
What is the temperature (TT1)?
What happens when you put it on separation, does PT1 change? Can you see V1 changeover?
With no BP on PT4 and the feed on, where is the fuel going? Filling the sludge tank? If yes, then the bowl is not closing. If no, then fuel is not entering the separator. Has the plug dropped off V1 and it just appears to be working? Try running it manually, fill it with water and see if it will eject.
jejerooooome
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Europe

Post by jejerooooome »

Hi popeye62,

It is now working well. I don't quite get what happened, but I just started to open more in the feed for the fuel then it worked okay now.
Maybe there was a blockage or something in the line and it was pushed when I increased the pressure.
1% everyday is better than 100% in one day
popeye62
Officer of the Watch

Post by popeye62 »

Hello jejerooooome, that's good news. Just be aware of pushing too much through it and not getting optimum cleaning, try for 110% of engine consumption. Might be worth sending off a before and after sample next time you send your bunker samples. Thanks for letting us know. John
Johven
First Time Poster
Currently located: Philippines

Alfalaval HFO separator S826

Post by Johven »

Good day Gentlemen..im first time onboard a ship with a purifier alfa laval s826 model..I would like to know based on your experience on how you rectify the alarm of low pressure of PT5??Thank you for your answers
popeye62
Officer of the Watch

Post by popeye62 »

Hello Johven. I would try what jejeroooome did; increase the throughput.