Master Mariner Angus McDonald

A place to remember our peers who have completed their last voyage on this earth. Finish With Engines.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Master Mariner Angus McDonald

Post by JK »

I'm sad to see this.
I first ran into Angus in the mid '80s at the Nautical school when it was still located in Halifax at Peir 21. He was the instructor of the course I was taking. The school was wrapping up in Halifax, prior to the move to Port Hawksbury so there was only a handful of us there.
Angus is well known in the marine industry and will be missed.
RIP Angus. Lift anchor and full speed ahead.
I am glad to have met you.
Age 93, died on March 23, 2020, at home with family. Born in Glasgow, Scotland, he loved the sea and ships. In 1951 he married the love of his life, Mary Guthrie, a marriage that lasted 68 years until Mary's death in September 2019. Angus and his family immigrated to Canada in 1967. He made significant contributions to the maritime sector over many years in Canada and internationally. In February 2020, Angus was awarded the UK Merchant Navy Medal for Meritorious Service for his contribution to the safety of seafarers and to the Maritime Industry. In 2018, Angus was awarded the Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers acknowledging his volunteer activities. Dearly loved and will be forever missed by his son, Alan, New Zealand; daughters, Lindsay and Alison; and daughter-in-law, Catherine, New Zealand; grandson Finn and granddaughter Katy, both of New Zealand; as well as by nephews and nieces in Scotland and England and a wide circle of very good friends. A Celebration of Life will be held at Fort Massey United Church at a later date. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Canadian Naval Memorial Trust, Mission to Seafarers Halifax, the Nova Scotia Sea School or Fort Massey United Church. For full obituary please go to: www.jasnowfuneralhome.com