SS Master

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

SS Master

Post by JK »

I had forgotten about this oldtimer until BP's thread. Some videos of the SS Master, a steam recip tugboat that is maintained by a society in Vancouver BC
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0pVii ... 7tdsICZoiw
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: SS Master

Post by The Dieselduck »

yes, but my understanding they are running in the same problems as Big Pete' steam engine in the UK. No money, but more importantly, no transfer of knowledge or new blood. We are losing so much history and pride in this race to the bottom, and the great squeeze from this rabid money making obsession, no one has extra time or flexibility to maintain this history.

SS Master is now berthed at the Britannia Shipyards in Steveston, outside of Vancouver, rounding up a must see area for BC history and its heavy reliance on machines and their marine heritage. The area has a national history site, with the Georgia Cannery, the shipyard (geared toward small fishing vessels), and the infrastructure around supporting these activities and of course the legacy of segregation and exploitation.

Master used to be berthed at the Vancouver Maritime Museum, which is somewhat dated, and was supposed to be moved to "new, beautiful facilities" that were proposed by the condo developers as a community benefit from the massive shipyard lands in North Vancouver. Of course the condos are all built now, sold, surrendering any trace of our Canadian naval and industrial heritage, and the new maritime museum never materialized.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: SS Master

Post by JK »

I'm somewhat not surprised at your comments as in one video I saw years ago, the recip pump running in the background had too long a stroke and was thumping. The engineers in the video were oblivious. The 2nd would have rapped my knuckles for allowing that when I worked the up and downers :?
They just pulled the Hector, a replica sailing vessel in Pictou and put her on the blocks for some much needed work, the Sackville, the last corvette was surveyed for plate thickness, they are looking at 10 million to keep her afloat. They did some doubler work. The CSS Acadia is also requiring repairs. Old ships are expensive.

It's amazing how the heartfelt promises at the start by businesses never get fulfilled. The same thing happened out here. Not marine, but same result.