A letter to TC, and their response

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

A letter to TC, and their response

Post by The Dieselduck »

Below, is an email exchange from a very experienced Master and leader in the Canadian maritime industry, and Transport Canada's reply s below that. Have a read and let me know how you feel about the future of our craft.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To: Oceans Protection Plan Engagement / Mobilisation Plan de Protection des Océans (TC) <[email protected]>
Subject: Item for OPP v2.0 - Training Existing Mariners

OPP v1.0 missed a golden opportunity to deal with mariner training in Canada. The marine industry did not need sponsorship for new hires. Based on the demand for BWR students at Western Maritime Institute there is little shortage of future mariners trying to get into the industry. OPP really needed to address sponsorship and funding for people already progressing through the ‘system’ so to speak. TC needs to be the lead as obviously ESDC (EI) has no clue about the shortage of mariners or they would be doing something about it.

The Provinces (at least in BC) do not recognize mariners as ‘apprentices’ therefore mariners cannot get sponsored in the same way that a Heavy Duty Mechanic would. That is who we are competing with for Engineers but no one seems to be able to put the picture together on the Canadian maritime labour shortage (which is world wide) but one would not know it based on the OPP materials I just saw. 10 to 12 years of self study and sea time to become a Master or Chief Engineer is not where young people want to spend their time anymore. Change needs to happen.

TC and the Federal Government also needs to ‘advertise’ that the marine industry is not just a bunch of polluting sailors who make too much noise for whales. That is the current message being delivered by OPP.

We need domestic cadet programs and some sort of sponsorship for mariners and a way to make sea time easier to acquire than we have today. Too many waters are classified as ‘sheltered’ which anyone who sails on the coasts will tell one that the waters they sail in are no where near ‘sheltered’. The problem is with all the sheltered waters around no one can acquire sea time. We need to revisit how sea time is acquired in Canada as well the current MPR are taking longer then CSA 2001 to develop. That is also an issue as regulations take far too long to be amended and it seems to be getting worse.

Thank you

---------------------------------------------------

Transport Canada - the nation's premier transportation authority, hub of technical and vital knowledge, pursuers of transportation excellence, setting standards for smooth and safe operations at sea, air, road and pipelines - responds with the following:

Thank you for your email correspondence dated Monday, June 07, 2021.

As a regulator for the marine industry, and given the department’s role in accrediting marine training, Transport Canada is working with partners and stakeholders to develop future-focused strategies to tackle a broad range of challenges facing the marine sector.

As part of the Oceans Protection Plan, the Marine Training Program (MTP) was created with the particular purpose of reducing barriers to underrepresented groups in the marine labour force, such as women, Indigenous Peoples, Inuit and Northerners. In order to improve the accessibility of marine training for underrepresented groups, the MTP provides federal funding to expand traditional learning, e-learning, and blended learning programs at participating marine training schools across Canada. This funding supports the development of marine training that reflects traditional knowledge, culturally appropriate material, and the learning needs of isolated and remote coastal communities. The funding also provides much needed infrastructure, equipment, and new technology to improve marine training and local access to the training.

On April 19 of this year the Government of Canada released Budget 2021: A Recovery Plan for Jobs, Growth, and Resilience, which provided historic funding to support youth, training, and employment. For example, Budget 2021 is investing $960 million over 3 years for a new Sectoral Workforce Solutions Program (SWSP), beginning in 2021-22. The SWSP will focus on addressing workforce needs in key sectors including transportation.

Transport Canada is also advancing its Strategy to Address Canada’s Transportation Labour and Skills Requirements. This strategy focuses on underrepresented groups and consists of targeted actions in four key areas: leverage programs to help the transportation sector; targeted research, data and analysis; promotion, awareness and outreach; and, modernizing Transport Canada’s regulatory approach to training, certifying and licensing to encourage innovation while protecting the safety and security of Canadians.

Transport Canada is continuously taking stock of the concerns and needs of seafarers and the marine industry. The accumulation of sea time has been difficult for all in the marine industry this past year given the restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic. The health and safety of seafarers is of utmost importance. The unpredictable nature of the pandemic has created circumstances whereby gaining sea time experience has been very challenging. It is expected that once restrictions sufficiently ease there will be more opportunity for seafarers to gain valuable sea time experience.

Kind regards,

OPP Engagement Team

-------------------------

What do you think of this exchange? Is this the same in other countries?
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: A letter to TC, and their response

Post by JK »

The problem as I see it is that the funding then goes to the provinces for the community colleges. They have to ramp up, get instructors and get a curriculum up and running with classes. TC audits the training to ensure it meets their requirements. The hold up is probably at the provincial level. I have a young friend who would love to get on the ships, but to get in and get the required courses and get hired when you need a wage coming in is daunting as we all know.
toyota
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Polan

Post by toyota »

Nobody wants this shitty and difficult job anymore. Transport Canada adds to disappointment by humiliating Engineers. They need more seatime than
Mates to get Third Class. Forth Class should be banned in Canada
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Post by The Dieselduck »

Yes, the sense of frustration and anxiety from engineers dealing with TC is evident with whomever peer i interact with.
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Ellis.C1995
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Canada

Post by Ellis.C1995 »

Dealing with TC has become such a mentally draining issue. I've pretty much given up on trying to obtain my higher class ticket. I find it defeating because I really enjoy the job and it's challenges, but at this point I don't find it worth the frustration...

I hope it turns around for the better before I completely give up and move shore side..