Fairbanks Morse Engine

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Fairbanks Morse Engine

Post by The Dieselduck »

Got an interesting email, insightful; can anyone help?

Martin

I worked at the factory in Beloit Wisc. The engines were fabricated and then rolled into the engine test area. We set them up and connected too an alternating generator to use the power for the factory.WE ran wearin tests and removed some parts for inspection. Then ran power tests, fuel consumption test,. The engine was then fitted with the DC generator and moved to the locomotive building. Then the locomotive was connected to a water box for further testing. It was then sent to the railroad co.
Laer I went out on field to different railroads to help put them in service.

If you saw the movie Hunt For Red October. The submarine they used for the move had the top cover removed and they ran the engine very slow for show .

I was in the Los Angeles office and the marine division pf FM had a problem and no one to take the callso they called our locomotive dev for help. I went to San Diego on a tuna boat. It took about two hours to fix the problem. They wanted to take it out for a sea run to make sure it was ok, I had to go along. It was running so good they kept going to the south pacific. I was told they would transfer me to another boat coming. Two days later I was transferred to the other boat for another two days back to SD
I could give you much more but you get the idea
The reason I am writing to you for help find a plastic sort of book. The plastic was clear with pictures of the outside of the OP engine and when you lifted the first page another showed the next interior picture. It has about six pages that dissects the engine. Really something to learn the engine.
I had about six of these from FM to pass out and I kept one for many years but someone forgot to return it and I have been looking for years for another one.

I would like to get another to show my two great grand sons.
Any help from you would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Steffes
[email protected]
1350 Suey RD. #244
Santa Maria CA 93454

Sincerely Jim Steffes