Canadian citizen, UK CoC...

General maritime and engineering discussion occurs on this board. Feel free to post newsbits, comments, ask questions about maritime matters and post your opinions.
Waaarrrggghhh
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: UK

Canadian citizen, UK CoC...

Post by Waaarrrggghhh »

Hey everyone.
I'm actually a deckie (booo..) but just wondering if anyone here has or knows anyone that is in a bit of a unique situation like I am.
I am a Canadian citizen with canadian passport so can up sticks to Canada at any time but live in the UK. I have a UK CoC issued by the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA, our version of transport canada).

Things are absolutely dire re: jobs for seafarers in the UK so looking over here. Just wondering if all my STCW certificates are likely to be recognised vy transport canada or if I'll have to re-do all my courses from scratch?

Thanks
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Re: Canadian citizen, UK CoC...

Post by The Dieselduck »

TC has issued a noticed that it is in advance talk with the UK to recognize Certificates issued by the UK, along with those of the Philipines, India, etc. Ukraine (..and other anti russian countries) Australia, and some token Western European tickets are currently being accepted at par.

Of course that means, what's happening in the UK, will now happen in Canada. So your comments are a great preview. Banana republic is a term that comes to mind.

Its a great time to be alive, heh!
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net
Waaarrrggghhh
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: UK

Post by Waaarrrggghhh »

oh, interesting! got a link for that? Cant find much on the TC website. Yes UK is a fucked banana republic indeed. Remember P&O? coming to shores near you.
barkerstyle
Bilge Dweller

Post by barkerstyle »

Just curious, there are limited jobs or no jobs in the UK?

According to everything I'm hearing, there is a massive shortage of workers and many jobs that need to be filled in the marine transport sector in Canada. Do folks agree or disagree with that?
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

Like always, there is a massive shortage of skilled and experienced workers who are willing to work in subpar conditions for wages that don't support more than subsistence for a single person.

There's always been a shortage of those.

The average wage in 2020 was about 58k a year in BC, while being a seafarer is definitely above the regional average, there is a considerable gap between that and the ~170k a year needed to afford to live in the metro areas, where most seafarers positions are based in BC.

The larger lakes companies are salivating at the prospect of Certificate of Recognition for UK, Phillipines, and Indian which TC is in advance talk of accomplishing. Those companies have large Flag of Convenience fleets already operating in much of the Canadian market, imagine if they could keep out actual competition from the other FOC global operators, yet not pay wages or taxes by having a "Canadian" flag, but really no crew that actually live or pay taxes in Canada. That would be a boon to their bottom line.
Martin Leduc
Hardit
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: At sea

Post by Hardit »

The Dieselduck wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:51 am TC has issued a noticed that it is in advance talk with the UK to recognize Certificates issued by the UK, along with those of the Philipines, India, etc. Ukraine (..and other anti russian countries) Australia, and some token Western European tickets are currently being accepted at par.

Of course that means, what's happening in the UK, will now happen in Canada. So your comments are a great preview. Banana republic is a term that comes to mind.

Its a great time to be alive, heh!

Hi. I came across this post and I have tried looking up this information but can’t seem to get any hits on Google. Do you have a verified source more importantly do you know how close they were to announcing this policy change
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

See page 13, of the CMAC report given in Nov 2022.
" Update on Reciprocal Arrangements
• Transport Canada is working (in active discussions) to advance reciprocal
arrangements with
• Brunei
• Philippines
• United Kingdom

Transport Canada is preparing to commence discussions with
• Belgium
• Denmark
• Greece
• India
• Ireland
• Panama
• Singapore "
Martin Leduc
Hardit
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: At sea

Post by Hardit »

Thank you for that.
The Dieselduck
Administrator

Post by The Dieselduck »

As of early April, agreements for recognition of UK and Philippines CoC have been reached. Wow, if only TC would work as fast to come out with update regulations to meet STCW 2010!
Martin Leduc
beiswam
Bilge Dweller
Currently located: Nova Scotia

Post by beiswam »