Crankshaft replacement

A place to exchanges questions and ideas of a technical / procedural nature. Go ahead, try to stomp us !
Insuranceengineer
Bilge Dweller

Crankshaft replacement

Post by Insuranceengineer »

I need advice on how long it would take to replace the crankshaft of a land-based 13MW Sulzer Diesel engine, in relation to an insurance claim. Anyone willing to help or who knows an expert in these matters, please reply with an e-mail address.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Re: Crankshaft replacement

Post by JK »

Did you get an answer regarding this?
Have you checked with the Sulzer rep?
Not being familiar with a land installation, I would think it would be easier and less time consuming to do a crankshaft changeout in a plant, then it is on a ship.
Insuranceengineer
Bilge Dweller

Post by Insuranceengineer »

I have the records from Wartsila, who have taken responsibility for the Sulzer Deisels, but the time sounds far too long (total time is a few Months). I need to check whether the time taken is realistic, as there can be many reasons for not wishing to rush the repairs. Any idea how long the complete work should take, from shutdown to re-start? Any idea of anyone who could look into this in more detail for us?
Madzng
Officer of the Watch
Currently located: London

Post by Madzng »

Hi,

What type of engine is it?
How many cylinders?
What is the nature of the failure, and how much damage has the bedplate suffered?
Does the Wartsila estimate include reconditioning of any components?
What is the location of the engine, is it remote?
What arrangements are in place already for the lifting of the frame?

It is difficult to say if their estimate is excessive without any details.
JK
Enduring Contributor
Currently located: East Coast, Canada

Post by JK »

Have you had them in to look at the engine? If the crankshaft is damaged, then you can bet you have a lot of other problems as well. Getting the replacement parts could be an issue timewise and affecting the delivery estimate.