Marine Maintenance Assistant
About Vancouver Island Ferry Company (VIFC) and Hullo
We’re the Vancouver Island Ferry Company, a modern Canadian ferry company transforming how we travel in British Columbia. It’s all about being an easier, faster, and more enjoyable ferry experience.
Headquartered in Nanaimo and operating under our service brand Hullo, we will provide service between downtown Vancouver and Nanaimo. We’re talking comfortable and reliable sailings in around 70 minutes, a seamless booking process complete with reservable seats, and refreshments that will be just that…fresh. Say goodbye to the biggest pain points of travel and be ready to be welcomed aboard with a smile and a “hello”.
VIFC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in our organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and any other category protected under applicable law. We welcome all qualified applicants who contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The Hullo Culture
At Hullo, we're all about taking things to the next level! Our obsession with safety and delivering an unforgettable guest experience is only matched by our passion for constant improvement. We don't settle for the ordinary - we encourage our employees to think outside the box, innovate and make waves. With data-driven decision making and a continuous improvement mindset, we are committed to raising the bar in everything we do.
But don't worry, it's not all work and no play at Hullo. We believe that having fun and being engaged are key ingredients for success. That's why we strive to create a dynamic and enjoyable work environment where every team member has a say in shaping the future of the organization. From the top down, we value collaboration and want each person to feel empowered to contribute their unique ideas and talents.
About the Role
As a Marine Maintenance Assistant, you will work closely with our Chief Engineers to support the maintenance and repair of marine machinery and systems on our passenger vessels. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the reliability of our vessels and ensure their safe and efficient performance for seamless connection between Vancouver Mainland and Nanaimo.
- Assist marine engineers and technicians in the maintenance, repair, and installation of marine machinery, equipment, and systems
- Conduct routine inspections and preventive maintenance on engines, generators, pumps, valves, and other mechanical components
- Assist in troubleshooting and diagnosing mechanical and electrical issues and proposing appropriate solutions
- Clean and maintain tools, equipment, and work areas to ensure a safe and organized working environment
- Follow all safety procedures and guidelines while working onboard vessels and in workshop settings
https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=ace882 ... i3g3i89002
- Provide accurate records of maintenance and repair activities
- Assist in the inventory management of spare parts and supplies
- Participate in training programs to enhance technical skills and knowledge
- Adhere to company policies and regulations, as well as relevant industry standards and guidelines
- Regular sounding and monitoring of tanks
- Assist Chief Engineer in operational processes after nightly tie-up (fueling, freshwater filling, sewage pumping ashore, connecting to shore power etc.)
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience or education in Marine Mechanical Systems or Heavy Machinery is preferred
- Basic understanding of marine diesel engines, pumps, valves, and other mechanical components
- Ability to follow instructions and work collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Transport Canada 4th Class certificate preferred
- Physical fitness and ability to work in various weather conditions and confined (void) spaces
- Ability to maintain high safety standards
- Ability to climb and go down ladders and work in machinery spaces
- Willingness to travel and work on different vessels as required
- Good communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with team members and supervisors
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and use lifting tools
- Ability to squat, bend, stoop for working on machinery spaces
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation
We’re Here for You
We get it – sometimes things happen in life that you can’t control. At VIFC, people are our greatest asset, and we want to support you and those you care about beyond the paycheque. That’s why we’ve created a comprehensive health and wellness benefits program to promote your physical and mental well-being so you can perform at your best. Better yet, it’s flexible since one size doesn’t fit all!
- 100% VIFC-paid premiums
- A robust, flexible health spending account – use it for additional health coverage should you need it and/or to support your personal wellness (like paying for your gym membership, sporting equipment, or activity classes)
- Don’t have a family doctor? No worries – we offer 24/7 virtual access to doctors or nurse practitioners to get medical advice or a prescription
- Support your retirement planning with annual employer RRSP contributions
- Free standby ferry travel for you and your family between Nanaimo and Vancouver
If you are passionate about marine mechanical and electrical systems, have a strong work ethic, and are eager to learn and grow in a dynamic marine environment, we would love to hear from you. Please submit your resume and cover letter detailing your relevant experience and qualifications. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
1 post • Page 1 of 1