Vice Admiral (ret'd) Peter Cairns, CMM, CD

A place to remember our peers who have completed their last voyage on this earth. Finish With Engines.
The Dieselduck
Administrator
Currently located: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada (West Coast of Canada)

Vice Admiral (ret'd) Peter Cairns, CMM, CD

Post by The Dieselduck »

Vice Admiral (ret'd) Peter Cairns, CMM, CD, passed away peacefully in Hospital in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada on Saturday, February 18th, 2023.

He is survived by his wife, Carolyn, his boys, Simon, Nicholas, Michael and Christopher and their spouses, grandchildren, Luke and Phoebe, his sister, Carol, a niece and a nephew and their respective families and many, many dear friends and his 2 cats.

He was my Bogie I was his Bacall, he was a loving family man, a fine officer, a loyal friend, a pet lover, open road adventurer, US Navy War College graduate, a decent golfer and always a humble and kind gentleman and so missed!

Peter's distinguished naval career began in 1956, included many seagoing appointments, command of ships, submarines and squadrons, and culminated in his appointment as the 24th Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy. Following his retirement, Peter was a driving force behind the establishment and operations of the Shipbuilding Association of Canada.

Although Peter served in many ships, he had an affinity with submarines and treasured his time below the surface with his fearless submariner mates!
A celebration of life will be held in the spring at the Rideau Club by his family and friends of The Navy League of Canada and the Ottawa branch of the Naval Association of Canada

An Irish Wake will be held to celebrate the amazing life of my Darling Husband Peter, when the tears slow down.
In keeping with Peter's love of the sea his ashes will be scattered to the ocean in a private memorial.

Ready, Aye Ready
Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 11-34-16 Remembering the life of Peter Cairns.png
Martin Leduc
Certified Marine Engineer and Webmaster
Martin's Marine Engineering Page
http://www.dieselduck.net